Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of tinting the upper door skin windows. Not real sure on how to do this, but I don't think regular tint will hold, so I was thinking of using the Tint Shade that you can get at auto part stores. Does anyone have an opinion on this or has anyone ever tried it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I couldn't find any info on this. Maybe someone can help you out. I just bought full doors so I could tint the regular windows.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ive been trying to figure out the same thing. Saw some today. Guy said he bought off Ebay. Ive looked and cant find any.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
I tried the kind that "clings" to the inside....it looked like total crap from the outside. I couldn't get enough of the tiny bubbles out to make it look good. So.....mission aborted. I've been thinking about using a tinted rear window, and having it sewn in, replacing the clear.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Regual tint is not going to hold and the cling as indicated above is not going look good.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Nite shades is not optically transparent. It will be blury looking through it.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Impossible to spay evenly. It will be very blotchy and have light and dark lines.

Don't do it.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yes I have seen posts that people have taken them to boat shop and have had new tinted plastic put in.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I tried the kind that "clings" to the inside....it looked like total crap from the outside. I couldn't get enough of the tiny bubbles out to make it look good. So.....mission aborted. I've been thinking about using a tinted rear window, and having it sewn in, replacing the clear.
I beg to differ on the cling tint. You still have to treat it like regular tint and same technique. If you are careful enough and leave a small gap from the stitching, mine lasted a good 4 mos until I went with upper sliders.(Still intact when I replaced them) I never unzipped the windows though, it's either on or off. The rears came already tinted on the smittybuilt tops.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Check you state laws on tinting front door windows. Dark tint on front door windows in NJ is not legal.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have no Idea where they came from but the door uppers on My TJ are tinted & made that way so someone onw is or was making them they were on the TJ when I got it used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anyone is going to attempt to use tint spray, be super careful, take A LOT of time to do it, slow very light coats, I did it on my CJ7 and it looked fine on the outside but inside there were lines and darker spots all over it. I have used that stiff a lot before so I thought I was pretty good at it, but man, it looked rough inside. Good luck

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am a professional window tinter by trade. I used the cling stuff as well turned out nice. I think the spray stuff is a BAD idea.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts