Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday I am getting my front two windows tinted. The shop that I am going to is the local go to all shop for accessories. VERY HIGH REPUTATION. I used them before. Have always been happy with their work. So I want my front windows to match the back windows (which is stock). Homegirl at the shop says that my back windows are not tinted. I disagree that they are some kind of color and I want them to match. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I do know my colors. So on Friday for my appointment I want to tell them exactly what I want for the front windows without argument. What do yall think I should ask for? My Ruby is a 2017 JK in case that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Different tint manufacturers are going to look different.
some may be more gray vs blue vs brown. Ask them what film do they use.

35 will be a little lighter. 20 will be a touch darker.

I personally went with 35 on my 14 and my 18.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I live in Missouri, laws allow tint as dark as like behind the driver. The front driver & passenger windows can only be 30 or 35% tint. I looked into having the fronts tinted but with those restrictions it was not a match to my rear windows so I skipped that mid. Not exactly sure what % tint I have from the factory but I have a ‘17 jku big bear with the premium soft top. To each their own but I’d rather avoid any imperial entanglements

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
My understanding factory is about 28.
This is from a tint company.

I have 20 on my truck and 35 on everything else except the 04 Rubicon. It got 45 or something like that.

20 is dark if you back up dark driveways.
You will find yourself rolling the windows down in some situations.

my truck was 35, but I had it redone with 20.
It is on the verge of too dark for my liking. Keep in mind, this is my plow truck.

I would suggest trying to find someone with 20 and see if you can sit in their car to get a feel for it. Worst case scenario, if you don’t like your decision, you can have it redone.

front windows on a JK should be between 90 and 100 depending on your market

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
I always wanted to add tint on my car windows but I have poor eyesight at night.
As Main Line Willy’s pointed out, the 20 is too dark and 35 is too light to match the factory tint. I wanted it to match, so going darker in back is the way to achieve that.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The factory rear tint on your JK and most SUV's and trucks is usually 18%. Most shops in my area usually stock 15% and 20%. I just had 15% installed on the front windows of our new WK2 and I love it. It matches the rear great. On my Durango, I had 20% installed and it appears slightly lighter than the rear windows to my eye.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I have 20 on front, factory rear. I don’t notice a difference, maybe I could if I sat there staring at it but in every day life it’s pretty close. The biggest difference is inside, the front is pure black when the factory tint has a little red to it but it’s not something you notice while driving only when entering the vehicle and having both tints in plain sight at the same time. My fronts have been done for 3 years and I honestly can’t remember the last time I noticed or thought about it before this thread.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah I have tint on my front windows, don't know what it is, dealer installed it when new. Bought it in AZ so seems standard down there to block out the hot sun. But it does make it a minor hassle to see out the side particularly on a dark trail, I usually have to roll the window down. Guess if I had some nice sideshooter lights that would work.

I also learned that tint doesn't like having your windows rolled half way down when off roading, I did this to keep some air flow while minimizing dust intrusion, but dust already on the window and or the wiper seal put rows of microscratches in the tint from the window vibrating against the seal from the offroad bumps. So now I try to just go windows full up or down offroad, probably better for the window mechanism too.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I did 35% up front and it matches well to the rear stock tint. Perhaps the person at the shop misunderstood your whole question here - the rear isn't tinted - to be tinted it generally implies tint is applied. The rear is factory 'tint' is sometimes seen as not being tinted because you can't remove it. I'd talk to the person doing the tint and not the person making the appointment.

Reactions: Ducman

·
Registered
291 Posts
I did 35% up front and it matches well to the rear stock tint. Perhaps the person at the shop misunderstood your whole question here - the rear isn't tinted - to be tinted it generally implies tint is applied. The rear is factory 'tint' is sometimes seen as not being tinted because you can't remove it. I'd talk to the person doing the tint and not the person making the appointment.
This. The rear doesn't have a tint film applied. They have a dye in the glass and are referred to as privacy windows not tinted windows. Also unlike tinted windows they don't offer UV protection from the sun nor do they block infrared heat like window tint does.

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
Also unlike tinted windows they don't offer UV protection from the sun nor do they block infrared heat like window tint does.
Not as good as window tint, but yes the factory glass does indeed offer UV/IR protection.

From FCA

According to available information, the UV transmission should be as follows:
Green tint/solar control glass (windshield, front door windows, rear door windows, rear side windows, backlight) - should be less than or equal to 39% UV transmission.

If equipped - Deep tint/sunscreen/privacy glass (rear door windows, rear side windows, backlight, sunroof)
- should be 8 to 23% UV transmission.

According to available information, the Infrared (IR) transmission should be as follows:
If equipped - Deep tint/sunscreen/privacy glass (rear door windows, rear side windows, backlight, sunroof) - should be approximately 16% IR transmission.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not as good as window tint, but yes the factory glass does indeed offer UV/IR protection.

From FCA
Interesting. Definitely contradicts the information the window tint industry is putting out.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Interesting. Definitely contradicts the information the window tint industry is putting out.
Well, yeah... they are there to sell a product, if they told people that the factory glass has UV protection they couldn't push the clear film to "protect" the children in the rear from harmful UV rays that will harm their skin. Who wants to handle the guilt of possibly giving their baby skin cancer in 10 years? Extreme? Yeah, no more than the other snoke and mirrors that businesses try and pull on people, but perhaps less exposed.

Personally, I'm more sold on a clear film advertised to reduce heat than protect from invisible UV rays and such, at least you might be able to compare the heat variable before and after, even so, if it's not much different - how are you going to "return the product"?

Reactions: SecondTJ

·
Registered
291 Posts
After hours of searching I could not find any good information on UV protection ratings of different factory privacy windows. The information posted here from FCA was only found on one site which is a Durango forum and quoted from someone who received an email response. Nowhere else is that quoted info to be found. If you go to Jeep you will not find any information on their windows about how they protect from damaging sun rays or heat. I will still consider the side windows to only give minimal protection until I see more data from a reputable source. While the claims of the film industry may be exaggerated I do believe that they are valid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts