Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and didn't see a thread title with "Tip Start". I saw "Tip Start" on my build sheet and didn't know what it was. I eventually located an answer after searching for a while but I thought I'd make it easier to find by putting it in the title for future reference.

Tip Start = In the automatic transmission vehicles, you only need to turn the key to "start" for an instant, and the computer will continue to crank the engine until it has started for you. Most new cars (CANbus cars) will do this, since the ignition is no longer wired to the starter relay. Its just a switch wired to the computer.

I think it's kinda cool. Kinda like "clap on".

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
One of my favorite features. My boat has this as well. The last few years I have been thinking "Gee I love this feature. I wish they made cars do that". Well I guess they finally do now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I think that also means that you can't use the starter motor to drag you forward? Like you can with a manual transmission & a non TIP starter?
For my TJ (5 speed manual transmission), I intentionally over-upgraded the starter motor to a Mean Green knowing it is useful to have an extra option to pull yourself a short way out of trouble even when the engine can't start.

·
Registered
636 Posts
So I think that also means that you can't use the starter motor to drag you forward? Like you can with a manual transmission & a non TIP starter?
For my TJ (5 speed manual transmission), I intentionally over-upgraded the starter motor to a Mean Green knowing it is useful to have an extra option to pull yourself a short way out of trouble even when the engine can't start.
You do relize this thread is from 2012....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts