Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellow jeepers, i have a set of jw speaker LED headlights installed. Ive had them installed and working perfectly for over a year now and just recently both low beams went out simultaneously. I know they're not dead because they sometimes come on sporadically and ive tested everything from the headlight wiring harness to the multifunction switch. Brought it into the dealership where they diagnosed it as the TIPM as well and now they want to charge me $800+ because headlights are not factory(not covered under warranty). My thinking is to put a buddy's factory HL set back in mine and bring back to the dealership but im concerned they'll see several of my surrounding mods and still claim it as void of warranty. Has anyone had similar trouble? Also any advise on a cheaper fix/self repair?

·
Registered
971 Posts
A little work and a basic knowledge electrical circuits required.
Wire your headlights directly to the battery through relays triggered by the multi function switch by passing the TIPM altogether.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a TIPM fail. I received numerous fault codes that amounted to a loss of communication with various peripheral components. What exactly is your Jeep doing? There is no way that some lights should damage it. There's actually a class-action lawsuit against Chrysler for this very issue among many of their vehicles. Are they able to prove how some lights would damage the circuitry or buswork? I would think that some fuses should blow first. I didn't learn about the class-action suit until after I was dumb enough to pay for something that should've been covered under warranty.

Chrysler TIPM Class Action Lawsuit | Chrysler Totally Integrated Power Module Class Action Lawsuit

Chrysler TIPM Lawsuit - American Recall Center

I did take mine apart though...

DSCF5343.JPG DSCF5341.JPG

·
Registered
248 Posts
Any updates? We have had similar issues. The low beam in our JW Speaker drivers side isn't working and every now and again all of the lights in the dash flash, the brakes are applied slightly, then it goes back to normal. The dealer has not been able to re-create the – flash issue, and it is not throwing a code.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Any updates? We have had similar issues. The low beam in our JW Speaker drivers side isn't working and every now and again all of the lights in the dash flash, the brakes are applied slightly, then it goes back to normal. The dealer has not been able to re-create the – flash issue, and it is not throwing a code.
did they blame this on the JWs?

·
Registered
248 Posts
did they blame this on the JWs?
no, they have actually been really good to us. They kept it for two weeks and drove it about 250 miles. They couldn't get it to throw a code or re-create the issue. A week after we got it back, had the issue on a road trip. They are going to bring out a field technician to take a look later this week. I don't know if the two issues are related, but the headlight low beam is out only intermittently. Going to call quadratec to see if I can have it replaced under the JW Speaker lifetime warranty. If it happens with the new headlight, we will have confirmation that it is something in the jeep.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So after going over everything myself, I noticed that I had some corrosion and a short in my truck light wiring harness. Put in a new truck light wiring harness and haven't had any issues after three days. Since it only happened intermittently, it will take some time to determine if this fix actually works.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
So after going over everything myself, I noticed that I had some corrosion and a short in my truck light wiring harness. Put in a new truck light wiring harness and haven't had any issues after three days. Since it only happened intermittently, it will take some time to determine if this fix actually works.
I hope this fixes it for you. But now you can see why dealers and manufacturers don't like to cover a vehicle when mods have been performed. How much time did the dealer and tech spend on this and it may end up being the mod you did that caused your problems?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I hope this fixes it for you. But now you can see why dealers and manufacturers don't like to cover a vehicle when mods have been performed. How much time did the dealer and tech spend on this and it may end up being the mod you did that caused your problems?
I get it, most of us put modifications on our vehicle immediately after purchase. No matter how small or large, it is still a modification. We have been upfront with our dealer and they have been wonderful. There are some modifications I wanted to do, but won't do until the warranty period has passed based on advice from our dealer. If you want to be technical, even changing a lightbulb in your vehicle can void some warranties with some manufacturers. Either way, Iwanted to post my results in case others have experienced the same thing. I think the moral to this story is that if you are having issues with your jeep, and you have done modifications, it wouldn't hurt to check out your modifications first.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I get it, most of us put modifications on our vehicle immediately after purchase. No matter how small or large, it is still a modification. We have been upfront with our dealer and they have been wonderful. There are some modifications I wanted to do, but won't do until the warranty period has passed based on advice from our dealer. If you want to be technical, even changing a lightbulb in your vehicle can void some warranties with some manufacturers. Either way, Iwanted to post my results in case others have experienced the same thing. I think the moral to this story is that if you are having issues with your jeep, and you have done modifications, it wouldn't hurt to check out your modifications first.
Understood and didn't want to seem like I was bashing you (too hard).:)

I've also been in the situation where I made a mod or addition and was quite pissed when it didn't work as advertised only to find out I made some bone-headed move when installing. Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Understood and didn't want to seem like I was bashing you (too hard).:) I've also been in the situation where I made a mod or addition and was quite pissed when it didn't work as advertised only to find out I made some bone-headed move when installing. Best of luck to ya!
well, I thought that did the trick. But 30 days later, guess what happened? Yep, it did the same thing, so my modifications are not the culprit. Since it only seems to happen once a month I'm not gonna worry about it, but it is kind scary when it happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts