Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to Red River to do some trails and, of course, want to do this one. Kinda nervous about the deep water crossing. Ruining my Jeep on day 1 of the trip is not a good idea! Can I get some ideas and tips on what I need to know to (1) go for it or (2) say "nope." How deep is too deep? What do you look for to tell (without just having to wade out there and check it)? Do you always bring a buddy and how do you talk him into going first so it is his Jeep that is ruined not yours? ;-)

Anybody done this trail? Let me know what you know!

Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,026 Posts
No idea what mods are done to your Jeep (height, snorkel, etc) but the factory spec is 30" of water fording. Be aware of how to cross water and be aware of where your intake is. Then use good judgement.

Here's the required water crossing statement:
You should check the depth of any unknown water crossing.
That said, let's be honest, most people aren't going to get out and walk the water crossing first LOL Just be smart and be prepared to shut the Jeep off immediately at any sign of trouble.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
how do you talk him into going first so it is his Jeep that is ruined not yours? ;-)

Thanks.
Lol ... is that like only hiking in the forest with heavier people who can’t run as fast as you?

A good snorkel is your friend for both water and dust. I never intend on going in water that deep but every once in a while the nose will drop in an unknown hole and then I am glad I have it.
If you do a snorkel, just do a good one and stay away from any kit that runs pipe lower then the factory air box. Keep all intake lines as high as possible ie AEV or River Raider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea what mods are done to your Jeep (height, snorkel, etc) but the factory spec is 30" of water fording. Be aware of how to cross water and be aware of where your intake is. Then use good judgement.

Here's the required water crossing statement:
You should check the depth of any unknown water crossing.
That said, let's be honest, most people aren't going to get out and walk the water crossing first LOL Just be smart and be prepared to shut the Jeep off immediately at any sign of trouble.
I should have posted a little about my beast! 08 JK running 33" tires and a 2.5" lift. No snorkel.

Dumb question - when we talk about "intake" we're talking the air intake that goes to the air filter, yes? That is on top of the motor?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, driving your jeep in water is not healthy and should be avoided if possible. Jeeps are water resistant at best and not waterproof. They were never built to be submarines. I think factory spec is something like 30" but if you go any deeper than the floor boards for any length of time then you can pretty much expect to pull the jeep apart and dry out all the carpet and mats.

Check your diff air hoses and make sure they are intact, attached and not cracked, otherwise you will have to change all your diff oil. Make sure all your speed sensor connections are tight and good, otherwise you will have traction/abs issues afterwards.

The big thing to remember... the deeper you take it, the bigger the possible issues afterwards.

·
Administrator
17,026 Posts
I should have posted a little about my beast! 08 JK running 33" tires and a 2.5" lift. No snorkel.

Dumb question - when we talk about "intake" we're talking the air intake that goes to the air filter, yes? That is on top of the motor?
It's the front passenger corner of your Jeep, so keep an eye there to make sure the water isn't splashing in that area. (pic below is over 4" of lift and a 40" tire, so fairly deep, but with rock drop offs that go deeper.)

Keep enough speed to push the water, but not so much that it comes up over the Jeep.
Recently had a new Jeeper in the group run off and attack a mud puddle at full speed, spent the rest of the day getting their motor cleaned out and they had to replace the motor when they got home. That 2 seconds of fun had a high price tag.

Biggest tip is to just be smart.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Contrary to popular belief, driving your jeep in water is not healthy and should be avoided if possible. Jeeps are water resistant at best and not waterproof. They were never built to be submarines. I think factory spec is something like 30" but if you go any deeper than the floor boards for any length of time then you can pretty much expect to pull the jeep apart and dry out all the carpet and mats.

Check your diff air hoses and make sure they are intact, attached and not cracked, otherwise you will have to change all your diff oil. Make sure all your speed sensor connections are tight and good, otherwise you will have traction/abs issues afterwards.

The big thing to remember... the deeper you take it, the bigger the possible issues afterwards.
Have disabled my klaxon horn (aka "Dive! Dive! Ah-ooogah! Dive!). Seriously, those are very good tips.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Common sense is key. If you are not sure, don’t do it. And as BBS has experienced I have also seen more Jeeps hydrolocked from people blasting through mud puddles/pits then from water crossings.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Consider that water can get into transmissions and differentials..........as well as the engines.

Reactions: CoffeeAndJeeps

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Consider that water can get into transmissions and differentials..........as well as the engines.
All fluid levels and breather hoses should be checked before and after an adventure regardless....

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
Any overlander who has done backcountry excursions... walks the expected path of travel to ensure there arent drop offs or other issues. Unless you can see it clearly less than say 2' deep, I always walk it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Be patient and drive slowly. Another option if you don't know the depth or are concerned about drop-offs, is to drive in reverse. If the rear drops-off, the motor and intake are still out of the water.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Speaking of breather hoses. The factory locations on mine didn’t seem high enough so I installed new hose and raised up the exit location.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Definitely lengthen both your diff breather hoses, along with your transfer case and transmission breather hoses to keep them up out of the water. There are few companies that make breather hose relocation kits if you look online. Obviously as stated before, know the depth of the water. Don't go fast and don't create a large bow wave. As cool as it looks, that's when you risk having the water come up over the hood and hydrolock your engine. Another person on another forum also says that it is a good idea to let your diffs cool off before going in the water as it cools them very rapidly and can cause premature wear. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I'm putting it out there. Make sure there aren't any big holes in the water that one of your tires might drop into making your hood go under. Bring beer. If someone has to get into the water to hook a winch up to your Jeep to pull you out, you're damn right they're gonna deserve a beer at the end of the day after that!

Reactions: CoffeeAndJeeps

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FOLLOW UP: Great trip to Red River. Did Sawmill Pass and since it had snowed several inches it was a little more challenging and a lot more beautiful. Old Red River Pass is also a wonderful trail. The water crossing to Goose Lake was a giant "No." On the far side it was shallow enough to see the bottom but the entrance side was probably 4' deep in places, and the water was rushing pretty fast. It wasn't even a difficult decision. It was clearly too high to attempt.

Thanks for all the good advice here and I am going to lengthen my breather tubes now so they'll be ready for the next trip, whenever and where ever that is!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts