Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner installed the tow hooks on the wrong side and in doing so I could not install the fog lamps I purchased. I ended up snapping the Grade 5 Hex head the PO used and have been trying to extract it using an easy out but it is not budging.Do you think I shoud just drill it out and re-tap the thread or is there an easier solution? Also thinking about painting the tow hooks since I already have them off red to match the rancho stabilizer and have the shocks on order. Does anyone have red tow hooks On a Stone white Sahara So I could see how it looks? Thants!

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
Before working on it, I would recommend you remove the bumper. It will make it easier with everything out of the way. Soak it well with PB Blaster as well. Then mark the broken bolt so you can drill down the center and use a good easy out. Apply a little heat to it as you do.

The color you paint the tow hooks is up to you. I replaced the tow hooks with shackle mounts and then installed red shackles.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Bring it over to the house. Getting broken bolts out is one of my favorite things to do. Weird huh?

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
In the Fleet - S-2Es, when stationed in the Philippines, HU-16s and US-2Bs. The S-2 Tracker was a carrier based submarine hunter/killer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Soak it, tap on it a bunch with a drift punch and hammer, left hand drill bit and then try an easy out. if that dont do it go to Ibikee's house ;) Seroiusly drill and tap time. Guess its to late now but why the xxxxx xxxxxx did Jeep not use more Nickle or in the frames to prevent rust.

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
Guess its to late now but why the xxxxx xxxxxx did Jeep not use more Nickle or in the frames to prevent rust.
Because they didn't expect us to hang on to them this long.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Nice looking jeep. Love the study bumper and the red accents.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks, just added the matching rear stubby bumper and same shackles, but unfortunately no photo yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, I think I am just going to have to retap the threads. I am going to save the project though for another weekend. I just ended up painting tow hooks and placing the heads of the front bolts for looks until I can get to it.

Just purchased the clear turn signal lens off of Quadratec, cant wait for them to get here

·
Registered
460 Posts
Got a shot of the rear this morning to share. I really like the Motobilt bumpers.
IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts