Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for tips on how Jeepers cut through snow like butter. I have an 09 manual JK. I have 37s, 4.88, and air lockers.
If I am 4HI, the jeep would most likely get stuck after over 12inches in snow or less. Then I'll change gears to 4LO where it goes through. Question is, is it alright if I am in 2nd or 3rd gear in 4LO? I don't Rev the JK over 3500 RPM.
Once the snow passes my front and rear pumpkin axles, my Jeep starts to slow down till it stops. I would like some more advise on people who have more experience than i do.
P.s. if it matters, i will be replacing clutch to a centerforce clutch. My JK clutch is wearing out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Its alright if I can switch to like 3rd gear, right? I feel like the higher the gear, the further my Jeep goes until it stops again.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Ok. Its alright if I can switch to like 3rd gear, right? I feel like the higher the gear, the further my Jeep goes until it stops again.
Yes you can use 2nd or 3rd gear on 4 Low... You can use the gears in 4 Low if you need to, it is not going to hurt anything if you are staying within rev limits and all of that like you say you are.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Once you get in snow/ice as high as your differentials you'll start to get hight-centered similar to mud I believe.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a manual and once I'm on the trail I pretty much stay in 4L. I run through all 6 gears all day long. Depending on the incline of the section I'm on I may start in 1st or I may start in 3rd.

In snow controlled speed and momentum are your friends. Your not crawling through it your running through. On an incline keep the tires spinning and don't stop. Backing down a snowy incline to take another attempt can be treacherous. On a decline use the transmission to keep you at a slower controlled speed and avoid the brakes. You can't steer when your sliding.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Also on an incline you want to be in the correct gear and carry momentum into the hill. If you bog down and stall or have to down shift your chances of making it to the top on that attempt are greatly diminished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts