Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the 4x4 world. Always been on ATVs, first time w a jeep.

Looking for some suggestions, what are some "must haves" that you would recommend in an emergency kit? Like what tools are essential.. Just looking to build up a tool kit to always keep in the jeep in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Best thing for an emergency kit: Another Jeep to pull you out when you get stuck. :D

Beyond that, I carry a couple of bags in the Jeep with everything I need.

A fire extinguisher and first aid kit are basically mandatory in my book.

A couple of recovery straps are good to have. Get the real recovery straps without the hooks. Don't use tow straps with the hooks. Never use a chain. Ever.

I carry a basic tool kit with the following: Metric and SAE wrenches in the common sizes. Screwdrivers of various sizes. A set of Torx drivers and allen wrenches (again in metric and SAE). A good socket set with both metric and SAE. If you have anything that needs a specialty tool like a spindle nut socket (you probably don't need that on a modern Jeep) throw that in the bag. Of course, a roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40 are essential.

I usually carry spare fluids. Oil, (pre-mixed) coolant, gear oil, ATF.

A good off road jack like a Hi-Lift or similar is always good to have along.

When winter hits and I have to deal with snow I'll throw a sleeping bag and a shovel in the back just in case.

If you're going out of town, it's never a bad idea to take a couple of meals worth of food with you just in case something happens and you're stuck for a while.

Wilderness trips require a survival pack tailored to the area you're going.

A CB radio (or Ham if you have a licence) is a good tool to have along when you're out of cell phone range.

Beyond that, making sure that people know where you're going and when to expect you to arrive so they know when you're not there on time is far more useful than just about anything you can take with you. They can always call for help if you can't.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Lol are you sure you drive a wrangler? where do you keep all this? Haha
Most of it is in these two bags.

The tools all fit in the green bag, the straps and a few other things like the first aid kit fit in the yellow bag. They both fit behind the rear seat just fine The fluids will fit in a relatively small cardboard box.

The fire extinguisher is attached to the roll bar.

The snow shovel will fit in the back on top of the bags. The sleeping bag sits in the rear foot well, which works for me since I rarely have rear seat passengers.

I haven't figured out a great way to take the hi-lift jack with me yet. I'm probably going to do a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier that has a jack mount built in.

My CB is in my Tuffy center console.

When I need to bring more gear I just toss it in the back seat.

I did forget one thing. I have a tire puncture repair kit in there. I also have a couple of things for my winch and a few D-ring shackles.

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
Subscribed, I need to get me a couple duffle bags now.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Subscribed, I need to get me a couple duffle bags now.
Get some tool bags. They're heavier duty and hold up better than duffel bags. You can get them at Harbor Freight, or at any hardware/big box store.

Oh, and I remembered a couple more things. A good LED flashlight, replacement fuses, wire, crimp connectors and a wire cutter/crimping tool.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
So I looked through my bags to figure out what else I was forgetting:

A tire pressure gauge.
A knife
A couple of trash bags
A roll of environmentally friendly TP for "field emergencies". ;)

I also have jumper cables and a small air compressor stored in the small storage space under the rear floor piece that covers up the jack.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Always have a coat with u or a blanket jeeps get cold when u have to spend the night on a mountain ;)

I have an axe, shovel, couple bottles of water, lighter, tire pressure gauge road flares, tire iron, honestly depends on what u plan on doing bro.. hmm.. I personally always love a bag of backup sunflower seeds,

And like derf said NEVER WHEEL ALONE!!!

Good luck dude!! Harbor freight and army surplus store are great cheap places to pick this stuff up..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow that's great info. i have a list now, this helps tremendously! Now when my bronco buddies break down ill have what they need to get out. Haha. Thanks again this is great info, much appreciated!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
For us TJ guys with Dana 35s and extra set of rear axles are never a bad idea on a wheeling trip

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
derf said:
Best thing for an emergency kit: Another Jeep to pull you out when you get stuck. :D

Beyond that, I carry a couple of bags in the Jeep with everything I need.

A fire extinguisher and first aid kit are basically mandatory in my book.

A couple of recovery straps are good to have. Get the real recovery straps without the hooks. Don't use tow straps with the hooks. Never use a chain. Ever.

I carry a basic tool kit with the following: Metric and SAE wrenches in the common sizes. Screwdrivers of various sizes. A set of Torx drivers and allen wrenches (again in metric and SAE). A good socket set with both metric and SAE. If you have anything that needs a specialty tool like a spindle nut socket (you probably don't need that on a modern Jeep) throw that in the bag. Of course, a roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40 are essential.

I usually carry spare fluids. Oil, (pre-mixed) coolant, gear oil, ATF.

A good off road jack like a Hi-Lift or similar is always good to have along.

When winter hits and I have to deal with snow I'll throw a sleeping bag and a shovel in the back just in case.

If you're going out of town, it's never a bad idea to take a couple of meals worth of food with you just in case something happens and you're stuck for a while.

Wilderness trips require a survival pack tailored to the area you're going.

A CB radio (or Ham if you have a licence) is a good tool to have along when you're out of cell phone range.

Beyond that, making sure that people know where you're going and when to expect you to arrive so they know when you're not there on time is far more useful than just about anything you can take with you. They can always call for help if you can't.
Chain is all I use. Carry about 50'

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm new to the 4x4 world. Always been on ATVs, first time w a jeep.

Looking for some suggestions, what are some "must haves" that you would recommend in an emergency kit? Like what tools are essential.. Just looking to build up a tool kit to always keep in the jeep in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for your suggestions!
I was reading another thread the other day that had tons of this info on it. I cant remember the title of it though and I cant search since im at work, but that thread had tons of info on it..

(Don't forget the 550 cord. I always keep a couple hundred feet with me.):punk:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts