Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another driver clipped my right rear bumper when she tried to squeeze into the left turning lane. She came from court where she lost custody of her son. She's losing her place to lawyer bills. Because the damage is minimal, I'm wondering if I can fix it on my own. I'm hoping to get some tips on how to do it.

Damage:
1. Issue: There are scratches along the right side of the bumper and fender flare.

Possible solution: Could part of it be removed by rubbing a lightly abrasive rag? People seem to use blow dryers, lighters, and heat guns to lightly mold the bumper. Is heating and patting flat with a screwdriver work? I'd guess the screwdriver creates a flat texture. The bumper is textured. Does pressing a cheese clothes or sand paper surface into the warm/soft plastic create the same texture?

2. Issue: There is a dimple in the bumper.

Possible solution: There are YouTube videos that show drilling a screw in, pulling dents out, and sealing with the heating method. The particular bump seems so minimal that I'm not sure if it'll work.

3. Issue: The alignment is off. The right side of the bumper is pulled back 3/4". On both sides of the truck is sheet metal that mounts the bumper to the truck. The good side has a curve in it. The bad side got straightened out.

Possible solution: Can this be bent back into shape? Is removing the bumper, putting a piece of wood on the metal piece as buffer, and hammering a good approach? I guess, I couldn't bent it straight with my arms. Or is this something that should be replaced with a new part?

Attached are photos for everything.

Also, I'm taking the Jeep offroad. That's another reason why I'm a little reluctant to replace everything with completely new parts. I may get a scratch into it myself in a year or two crawling around the mountains. It seems like a waste of resources. My last car (an on-road car), I kept in pristine conditions for over 10 years would have been another story. I wouldn't have hesitated to replace everything with new parts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
post where you are at someone will give you a new take off. They are a dime a dozen. If you are near Missoula MT you can have my old one like new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in LA.

I've read in forums that bumpers are available for cheap used. How is that? Are a lot of people putting on custom bumpers and no longer need the stock one?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Look for a take off one off Craigslist.

You could try to remove the light scratches with a lighter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts