Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Wrangler Forum.

Just bought a 2014 Black JKU. Love it, but am dying to do some mods.

I just bought a 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost.

Now I want to get new tires, and put 5100 Bilstein Shocks on it.

Questions I have:

Is there a tire that is in between a 33 and 35 that I can put on it? That looks awesome and runs well?

I have an automatic jeep, and my concerns for 35s are I don't want to put a lot of $ doing other mods (rehear, etc) to the jeep for potential problems that might happen because of the stress of the bigger tire size. Plus I have heard the MPG goes down w/ 35s.

But I am looking at pic after pic and 33s on a 4 door with 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost and the tires honestly look kind of small on a 4 door.

IS there a bigger size 33 or even 34 tire that is recommended on 2.5 BB that wouldn't cause me to spend $ on other mods to compensate for the bigger tire. I was looking at 33 Baja MTZs but again while they do look good, they do look small. I have heard great things about MTZs though.

Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like you want 35s... In which case you should go for those. Buy once, cry once

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
New to Wrangler Forum.

Just bought a 2014 Black JKU. Love it, but am dying to do some mods.

I just bought a 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost.

Now I want to get new tires, and put 5100 Bilstein Shocks on it.

Questions I have:

Is there a tire that is in between a 33 and 35 that I can put on it? That looks awesome and runs well?

I have an automatic jeep, and my concerns for 35s are I don't want to put a lot of $ doing other mods (rehear, etc) to the jeep for potential problems that might happen because of the stress of the bigger tire size. Plus I have heard the MPG goes down w/ 35s.

But I am looking at pic after pic and 33s on a 4 door with 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost and the tires honestly look kind of small on a 4 door.

IS there a bigger size 33 or even 34 tire that is recommended on 2.5 BB that wouldn't cause me to spend $ on other mods to compensate for the bigger tire. I was looking at 33 Baja MTZs but again while they do look good, they do look small. I have heard great things about MTZs though.

Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated!!
I believe you can get a BFG KM2, 285/75/17 (do you have 17" rims?) which is a 34 inch tires that will only minimally impact your stock set up as it is just a shade over 11 inches wide.

I've jumped ahead...what model do you have? Gear ratio? Wheels? These could all potentially I,pact your decision.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm doing a 2.5 AEV lift and 34s which I have seen in person. I think it's a perfect combo in regards to wear and tear and looks. See below... Not my Jeep- but pictures I found on the AEV forum with 2.5 lifts and 285/75/17 (34s). Mine is being installed next week.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm doing a 2.5 AEV lift and 34s which I have seen in person. I think it's a perfect combo in regards to wear and tear and looks. See below... Not my Jeep- but pictures I found on the AEV forum with 2.5 lifts and 285/75/17 (34s). Mine is being installed next week.
I will post pics of mine... Hopefully by this time next week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the recommendation on the KM2, I will look at them.

I have a 2014 Black Jeep Unlimited Sport (Automatic), and will run 17" Rugged Ridge Drakon Wheels.

I am also going to get 5100 Bilstein Shocks.

Now just got to find the right tire fit for that setup.

Honestly my main concern is putting to big a tire on, and then spending a fortune to compensate for that tire, that could potentially cause problems later on for a number of components.

Id like to get the best tire that doesn't look small, that won't cause me heartache later on. If that makes any sense thats why I was thinking maybe a bigger 33 or 34 with the 2.5 BB and Bilstein Shocks might be good.

I appreciate all recommendations

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on the KM2, I will look at them.

I have a 2014 Black Jeep Unlimited Sport (Automatic), and will run 17" Rugged Ridge Drakon Wheels.

I am also going to get 5100 Bilstein Shocks.

Now just got to find the right tire fit for that setup.

Honestly my main concern is putting to big a tire on, and then spending a fortune to compensate for that tire, that could potentially cause problems later on for a number of components.

Id like to get the best tire that doesn't look small, that won't cause me heartache later on. If that makes any sense thats why I was thinking maybe a bigger 33 or 34 with the 2.5 BB and Bilstein Shocks might be good.

I appreciate all recommendations
If you are concerned about ware and tear on your components, get a light weight C rated tire...maybe a Duratrac? If you are concerned about gear ratio pushing big tires, light weight and skinny is good (not sure if skinny is better than light or vice-versa).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I'll look at the Duratrac too, the ones that were recommended previously were 33 Baja MTZ or Nitto Terra Grapplers but after searching many pics of these they just look small on the 2.5 BB. Thats why I posted on this thread, thanks for all comments so far, they will help me in the long run. Basically, I want a jeep that looks great and rugged with the 2.5 BB and Bilstein Shocks that I can use as DD but also take to the mountains and beach. I am concerned some for gas mileage, but mainly my concern is wear and tear so that my new jeep doesn't become a gas guzzling money pit. So Id like to find a good looking setup that looks great that I can use for variety of different things. I have the BB, and am set on the 17 Drakon wheels, and the 5100 shocks, now I just need to find the right tire to have it all come together.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks BCT, Those are BFG 34's (285/75/17s)?? That setup looks really good.
Yep. Those are 34 inch BFG KM2s in 285/75/17. I'm a big fan of BFG tires. I know the GY Duratracs are highly rated...but I have a bad history with Goodyear tires with several different cars and trucks. It's a personal thing...not to influence anyone's preference. The Duratracs are liked by many AND have performance ratings to back them up... But as much as I want to try them again I just can't put another GY on my vehicle... AGAIN that's just me!

I like the BFG KM2 because it's a bit thinner and it's light. They do run smaller, but it's within my preferred liking. I'm going with AEV Savegre Wheels and the tires will fall right at the edge of the stock fender flairs. I personally don't like the"wide" look... I'm probably in the minority here, but everyone had their preference and I like a certain look of a Jeep. Hopefully my lift and tires will be completed by next week. I have researched this project since last October and this forum has helped greatly from helping me to decide 2-Door or 4-Door all the way through the ordering process and now to my Mods.

Good luck with your Jeep!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
305/70/17 are the same height (~34) as 285/75/17 while being a little wider (~12.2" compared to ~11.5") Overall a little closer to being in the middle between 33s and 35s (33x12.5x? and 35x12.5x?). They look a little beefier too IMO.

I am look at replacing my 285/70/17 with "34" in the next few months. They do seem to be a good compromise.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine with a 2.5" AEV and 295/70/18 nitto terra grappler which comes out to 33.75 inches with weight of the jeep. In my opinion the perfect size I am totally pumped with this setup

·
Registered
750 Posts
mine with a 2.5" aev and 295/70/18 nitto terra grappler which comes out to 33.75 inches with weight of the jeep. In my opinion the perfect size i am totally pumped with this setup
very sharp, i planning on the leveling kit. But with this pic i might have to hold off and go, not wanting to real big but this is perfect

1 - 14 of 14 Posts