Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘13 had new four new OEM Bridgestone Dueler tires installed prior to purchase last month. The spare is the same size but a Sumitomo or something like that. Two questions:

1. There are lots of Sahara take-offs available. I’ve found a “new” one that was the spare tire and has a build year of 2014. I want to do the five tire rotation. Should I be concerned about putting a four year old tire on the road with three that are new? I am in Colorado, so UV breakdown is a slight concern.

2. The same brand/model tires that I’m seeing in pictures of 2019 Sahara’s takeoffs seem to have a slightly more aggressive tread on the sidewall. Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Many, if not most manufacturers recommend replacing tires every six years, regardless of tread depth. We all know people who have driven tires longer than six years. I'd say go for it. If it makes you feel better, replace them in two or three years, or don't. YMMV, and invariably will...

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Yeah, common "age out" is 6-7 years. I wouldn't have a problem rotating a 4 year old tire in. Here in AZ it can be a little tougher due to the UV and heat we get. I've got 7 year old tires on my Frontier and there isn't any cracking at all on the sidewalls and lots of tread left.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah, common "age out" is 6-7 years. I wouldn't have a problem rotating a 4 year old tire in. Here in AZ it can be a little tougher due to the UV and heat we get. I've got 7 year old tires on my Frontier and there isn't any cracking at all on the sidewalls and lots of tread left.
I replaced my 7 year old tires with 18k on them. The Jeep is never garaged. They were starting to crack. Have two garaged Corvette’s that are rarely driven. Changed tires on both after 25 years. None had started to crack.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a 4-5 year old tire, but I also wouldn't pay a lot for it just because it's "like new". Discount tire says after 6 years, check them at rotations for signs of deterioration. After 10 years, replace them regardless.

I bought my 35" Duratracs used November 2016. They had 10,000 miles on them at the time and the widewall datecode was June 2012. P/O had them stored in his garage for a few years when he upgraded to different wheels with 37s. I have 50,000 miles on them now and they still have 8-9/32nds tread depth, so I'm in no hurry on replacement. However, they'll be 7 years old soon. I had discount tire inspect them last fall and their recommendation was to have them checked again in the Spring (need to do that soon) after the dry winter, but they otherwise look good.

I may have DT inspect them soon, then look at replacement later this year since they'll have over 60,000 miles on them, and they're getting noisy.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I replaced my 7 year old tires with 18k on them. The Jeep is never garaged. They were starting to crack. Have two garaged Corvette’s that are rarely driven. Changed tires on both after 25 years. None had started to crack.
Makes sense... The Frontier was garaged for the first 5 years and now outside, but shaded for the last 2. I expect to go to at least 10 before replacement.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, UV impact is the same here in Denver. Tires will crack before the tread wears out.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't worry about a 4-5 year old tire, but I also wouldn't pay a lot for it just because it's "like new". Discount tire says after 6 years, check them at rotations for signs of deterioration. After 10 years, replace them regardless.

I bought my 35" Duratracs used November 2016. They had 10,000 miles on them at the time and the widewall datecode was June 2012. P/O had them stored in his garage for a few years when he upgraded to different wheels with 37s. I have 50,000 miles on them now and they still have 8-9/32nds tread depth, so I'm in no hurry on replacement. However, they'll be 7 years old soon. I had discount tire inspect them last fall and their recommendation was to have them checked again in the Spring (need to do that soon) after the dry winter, but they otherwise look good.

I may have DT inspect them soon, then look at replacement later this year since they'll have over 60,000 miles on them, and they're getting noisy.
The price is $35.

·
Registered
354 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts