Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to do another thread about tires and rims. I am clueless when it comes to this stuff and I kind of just just need a direct answer.

I have a 2013 sport soft top pretty much stock just a few minion addons nothing extreme. How big can I go tire and Rim size with out having to lift the jeep or reprogram the computer? Right now the stock rims are 16 inch. I have asked around at local places but their pretty clueless. I don't want anything huge but would like bigger then 16 with a bit more aggressive street tire and I'll get seperate ones for off-road at a later date. Any suggestions and answers to my questions would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just upgraded my stock 16" wheels
I read on here you can safely go to 32" without any issues
I put 17" pintlers with 32" 265/70r17 duratracs
I drove through some mud and snow today
I could really feel the difference
The duratracs are great and really grip the road

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry to do another thread about tires and rims. I am clueless when it comes to this stuff and I kind of just just need a direct answer.

I have a 2013 sport soft top pretty much stock just a few minion addons nothing extreme. How big can I go tire and Rim size with out having to lift the jeep or reprogram the computer? Right now the stock rims are 16 inch. I have asked around at local places but their pretty clueless. I don't want anything huge but would like bigger then 16 with a bit more aggressive street tire and I'll get seperate ones for off-road at a later date. Any suggestions and answers to my questions would be great. Thanks

You can run a 17 inch wheel with a 33 inch tire like 285/70/17 and you can buy an AEV ProCal for $160 to reprogram If you want to go any bigger than the 33inch

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just upgraded my stock 16" wheels I read on here you can safely go to 32" without any issues I put 17" pintlers with 32" 265/70r17 duratracs I drove through some mud and snow today I could really feel the difference The duratracs are great and really grip the road
What was the cost of your rims and then the cost of your tires separate if you don't mine me asking.

Silly question but I'm not good with tires and rims but when u say go up to 32 inch what does that mean exactly. I understand a 16 inch rim but is their different widths of rims? CAn I see a pic of your jeep setup if possible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can run a 17 inch wheel with a 33 inch tire like 285/70/17 and you can buy an AEV ProCal for $160 to reprogram If you want to go any bigger than the 33inch
Thanks I really appreciate you helping out a fella who does not know much about tires and rim setups.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When you say 16s OP, you mean your rim size. Rim size is relevant but it isn't tire size, which people are speaking about.

If you have the stock 16 inch steel wheels, you have 29" tires. The other Jeeps come with 32" tires stock (different brands but same size) either on 17" or 18" wheels. The wheel diameter really is personal preference for looks - tire size is what you want to be focused on.

You can go up to 33" tire (and keep your stock 16's or get new wheels in any size) without lifting. A popular tire is Duratrac in which they have various sizes for different wheel sizes and all. One of the more popular is 33x12.50R15, which you'd need to get 15 inch wheels as well.

There are so many options it's tough to narrow it down but if you just wanted to try a bigger set you can go with a stock set off of your local craigslist which sell for cheap ($3-600) for either the sport wheel/tires or sahara wheel/tires. You will want a ProCal/FlashCal to re-adjust your speedo because all your calculations will be off as well as your speed by about 10% with the switch, and more the bigger the tire you put on.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I say up to 32" I mean the diameter of the tire
Rims come in different widths. Mine are 8.5" width
The tires will fit different width rims
Go to goodyears website and look at the specs for the tire

The aev pintlers were about $225 each
And the duratracs were about $250 a piece

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
What do you mean by "a bit more aggressive street tire"? A moderate off tire that is good on the road or something like a Sport Truck tire?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you say 16s OP, you mean your rim size. Rim size is relevant but it isn't tire size, which people are speaking about. If you have the stock 16 inch steel wheels, you have 29" tires. The other Jeeps come with 32" tires stock (different brands but same size) either on 17" or 18" wheels. The wheel diameter really is personal preference for looks - tire size is what you want to be focused on. You can go up to 33" tire (and keep your stock 16's or get new wheels in any size) without lifting. A popular tire is Duratrac in which they have various sizes for different wheel sizes and all. One of the more popular is 33x12.50R15, which you'd need to get 15 inch wheels as well. There are so many options it's tough to narrow it down but if you just wanted to try a bigger set you can go with a stock set off of your local craigslist which sell for cheap ($3-600) for either the sport wheel/tires or sahara wheel/tires. You will want a ProCal/FlashCal to re-adjust your speedo because all your calculations will be off as well as your speed by about 10% with the switch, and more the bigger the tire you put on. Hope this helps.
So if I go up in tire and rim size no matter what I'll needs to reprogram the computer? Now when I take it in to get serviced will they change it back to stock or will it void my warranty? I was thinking 17 inch black rims because my jeep is black could you recommend a rim size and tire size for me please? I want it to sit higher but not to high and look more aggressive. Thanks for all your guys help I appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean by "a bit more aggressive street tire"? A moderate off tire that is good on the road or something like a Sport Truck tire?
Well I mean looks more off road tire but still good for use on pavement. Where I live their isn't to many places for me to go off road. Due to my schedule these days I don't get to take trips like I used to when I had my tj, which sucks. I know that sounds silly but I hope you get what I mean.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So quick question if I was to add 1.5 spacers and upgrade to 17 inch rims and tires to match but I don't want my tires to stick out a ton. This is 2013 sport would I need to reprogram my computer? What exact rim size and tire size would be good I'm still confused on what is what and I really only trust my other jeepers when it comes to questions about this stuff. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have a 13 sport, I upgraded tires and wheels, cause the stock 16" just looked to small, I stayed with 16" wheels thought, I went with MB TKO wheels "black" and Copper Discoverer ATP tires p265/75/16. Filled in the wheel well really nice. The tires have a nice aggressive tread but handle the road quite well with hardly any add noise. The wheels were $110 and the tires were $138 each at Discount tire. I'm real happy with the performance and look.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have to search by size on their site. I don't have a picture with the tires, it's to dark out now. If you message me how to contact you, I'll take some pictures in the morning. I just can't figure out how to do pictures here with my IPad. I'm kind of old and not to tech savvy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You have to search by size on their site. I don't have a picture with the tires, it's to dark out now. If you message me how to contact you, I'll take some pictures in the morning. I just can't figure out how to do pictures here with my IPad. I'm kind of old and not to tech savvy.
It's ok no worries just send me a private message on here. Click on my name and will take you to my profile and you will see an option to send private message. If your able to take them with your iPad just hit the little plus sign at top right when writing a message to me and will give you the options you need. If no camera on iPad take it with your phone and email it to yourself then save it to your images on your iPad then do the same steps when sending a message. I really appreciate you helping me out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts