Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm new to the wrangler world and have a few questions about wheels and tires. I'm picking up an 04 later this week and it needs new tires. I have a few extra bucks put away and figure this is the best time to use it.

I don't have the money for a lift right now and won't be doing much off roading with it anyway. I read that the stock wrangler can run up to a 31" tire stock. I know i want a set of cragar soft 8s and a 31" tire. But i'm not sure which width I should go with. This will only be a daily driver and will probably only do minor off roading with it now and then. What size would best suit me will keeping somewhat decent gas millage? I know it will probably drop a bit but i'm not to concerned about that.

Also when I looked at cragars online there are a ton of different sizes to choose from. Depending on the width of the tire, which size wheel should I go with?

All help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Stay with a 15x8" wheel. It'll do fine for up to a 12.5" wide tire.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Stay with a 15x8" wheel. It'll do fine for up to a 12.5" wide tire.
x2..with a 15x8 wheel with a 3.75" BS, you have room to upgrade to larger than 31" tires in the future. But if you just do not intend to go bigger than 31's, then 15x7 will still work and would be a better size wheel to air down for offroading versus a 15x8 wheel because it will keep the tire bead more tightly on the rim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys! Hows the handling with a wheel like that though? From what ive been reading people have been saying i should go with a 17" wheel if your mainly driving on roads rather than offroading. Would that give me. Better ride? What do you guys suggest?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts