Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep has 35 inch tires, and once I get to highway speed, from 60-70 I get a shimmy that can be pretty bad at times. I rotated the tires and it's still there. Could this be tires off-balance or something else? Anyone have luck balancing 35's?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
A speed sensitive shimmy is normally always the result of an imperfect tire balance. The bigger the tire, the more important a perfect tire balance becomes. I have had to return twice in one day to get my 35" tires balanced well enough so there was no speed sensitive shimmy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry - did you use a chain store or local shop? One place said he wouldn't touch that size tire because he wouldn't be able to balance. Another chain said they'd do it, but wouldn't guarantee a good balance.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
I use Discount Tire which is also known as America's Tire Store in different parts of the country. Try calling a local 4x4 store & asking where a good place to get big tires balanced is.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Funny I buy all my tires from discount but they sent me to a shop down the road and they did an excellent job!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fill in the search and it will tell you a place that has this balancer. I hear it is pretty good and they did good by me, the one time I had it done.
Mine was shimmying pretty bad when I bought it. Took it to a place that has one of these and the guy said he did the best he could but he did not feel it was perfect. I took it out on the highway and it drove great and is still doing great. I had it done around January, I think.

Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts