Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a slight "bump" while driving my wrangler around. It's most noticeable between 10-20mph, but you can tell it's there at any speed. It feels like I'm running over something about the size of a marble or small rock with every rotation of the tire. There is no noise, I've checked the tread (nothing stuck in it or any bulges that I can see), there's no shake or shimmy to my steering wheel, and it feels like it's coming from the driver's side rear tire. Not sure what could cause this. I'm getting ready for a road trip this weekend, so I'll probably end up taking it to a tire shop just to be safe. Just curious if anybody had any ideas as to what is causing this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It turns out that it's sort of a flat spot on my rear tire. You can't see it until you spin the tire, then it's barely noticeable even then. I don't know if this is from having the Jeep parked too long, or from hitting a rock, or something different entirely. It doesn't seem to affect the handling of the Jeep, I'm just worried about the thing blowing out on me. Guess I'll have to save up for some new tires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't, but I just bought the Jeep on Friday. Who know what the previous owner did to this thing. The tread doesn't look worn or flat, it's just not as round there lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it ever go away as you're driving? Mine doesn't seem too, but I would like to save the money if I don't need to buy new tires.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Flat spot from sitting would go away after a few miles of driving. The higher the belt count the worse it tends to be. On the semi I drove it would rattle the cab for the first couple of miles then gradually smooth right out.

Be willing to bet if you have a flat spot that doesn't go away you most likely have a broken belt on the inside of the tire. One on the outside normally gives you a bulge in the tire, one on the inside weakens the tire and it flattens out. Probably if the tire was dismounted you would see the bulge on the inside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts