Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased and put a red rock rear tubular bumper on my 2006 LJ. I also purchased a smittybuilt extender for my stock rear tire carrier to accommodate the 32" tires I put on with my leveling kit. However after putting the spare onto the new carrier I realized that if I were to get any bigger of a tire, I plan to go to 35" tires in the next two or three years, that they wouldn't fit with out contacting the bumper. I was hoping to avoid getting a new bumper with tire carrier, not a huge fan of the swing away look and it's not functional for me at this time, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not sure what your ability or access to some basic fab stuff is, but it's pretty easy to make a bracket to relocate the tire factory carrier bracket up a couple of inches to provide bumper clearance.

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
what about the OR-FAB carrier? it is still a swing out carrier but you get to keep your current bumper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about the OR-FAB carrier? it is still a swing out carrier but you get to keep your current bumper.
I had seen them before but had only seen them with the cans behind them and I wasnt a fan. Do they make it without that? That could make it a possibility

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had seen them before but had only seen them with the cans behind them and I wasnt a fan. Do they make it without that? That could make it a possibility
Yes they do. They make the jerry can version and a non jerry can version. The non jerry can one is much closer to the body for a better departure angle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they do. They make the jerry can version and a non jerry can version. The non jerry can one is much closer to the body for a better departure angle.
Awesome! Along with the departure angel I just like that look better I don't know what it is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A lot of people on here run an Exo-Gate from gr8tops.com
It says it will support up to and including a 35 inch tire

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of people on here run an Exo-Gate from gr8tops.com It says it will support up to and including a 35 inch tire
I like the look of this too. Do you know if it raises the spare tire up at all because that is the current issue of the tire being too low.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also for can anyone say one way or the other about the orfab swing away carrier I have seen some very passionate about it and others very adamant about it while doing research on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts