Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New to the site. Been searching all the hinge options for the spare tire carrier and haven't found anyone's opinion on the barrel hinge --

Spring Creek Products

These hinges are rated at 600 - 900lbs and costs very little. Can't imagine they're that bad compared to the spindle types... Mounting is different, but can dress it up if need to.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Those are for building iron entrance gates at the horse ranch and such.They look like gravity holds them together so you would need 2 stacked opposite each other or a keeper tab so the first bump the tire carrier don't leave the jeep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, you're right. But you can lock down the tire carrier with a smiple nut/bolt/latch. The barrel hinge cost $7 versus the $50 generally seen on some of these units.

·
Registered
407 Posts
What is the load rating on one of those? If you build a carrier you could be close to 200-300lbs pending on tire size and if you add a cargo rack, hi-lift or jerry cans. Also think about the design of the carrier and the thickness of the material your going to use. Mine is close to 175-200lbs. I have just a 33" tire on a steel wheel and going to mount the Hi-lift there soon. I use 2x2x3/16 steel tubing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the load rating on one of those? If you build a carrier you could be close to 200-300lbs pending on tire size and if you add a cargo rack, hi-lift or jerry cans. Also think about the design of the carrier and the thickness of the material your going to use. Mine is close to 175-200lbs. I have just a 33" tire on a steel wheel and going to mount the Hi-lift there soon. I use 2x2x3/16 steel tubing.
The seller told me the 5" is rated at 600lbs and 7" rated at 900lbs... Sounds like a heck of deal...

·
Registered
670 Posts
I made a tire carrier last week and I'll post some pictures but I used 1 1/2" tubing and got polyeurothane bushings that fit inside and have a 1/2" hole they even had metal sleeves inside them, welded tabs on the bumper and I still have to make the brackets for the tub but they can be bolted or pinned in place.

Its a fold down carrier like Poison Spiders kinda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts