Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a gap of about 2.5 inches between the rubber bumpers on the tail gate and the tire side wall.The tires are 31/10.50R15. The tire carrier is not stock. The dimension front side to back side of the tire carrier is about 9.5 inches. The wheel backspace is about 4.0 inches.

I want to replace the tire carrier with a stock carrier. Not sure of the front side to back side measurement of a stock carrier. Will the tires I have fit on a stock carrier?

Thank you, Larry

·
Registered
538 Posts
Larry,

Pictures help with clarity. If we could see the spare carrier, we could maybe tell what you have. And, if you want to go back to a stock spare mount, someone here may be ready to upgrade and be happy to make a deal with you.

I think 31" tires should fit on the stock spare carrier, but backspacing may be important. Honestly, I skipped that step and went right to 35s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a couple pictures. I can not figure how to down load pictures on this site. I do have an account on photo bucket

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think you can link photobucket pics.

Backspacing on stock rims is 5.25". When I had 31"x10.5" tires on stock rims and stock carrier, the rubber bumpstops dug into the tire about half an inch. With a 4" backspacing, you should be ok.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you can link photobucket pics.

Backspacing on stock rims is 5.25". When I had 31"x10.5" tires on stock rims and stock carrier, the rubber bumpstops dug into the tire about half an inch. With a 4" backspacing, you should be ok.
X2. If there's not enough interference, especially with the bottom dead center bumper on the tub, then some spacers behind and longer M6x100 bolts will do fine. Here's a pic of mine with 3.75" backspacing wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What tire carrier do you have? Or is it an adapter that can be removed like this
https://www.extremeterrain.com/tera...T5_Var4=J15534&utm_term={keyword}&XTID=J15534

I have 30x10.5r15 and with the stock carrier the lugs were too short to mount the tire, so I got the above bracket. Tire was 2" too far from the snubbers. I ended up removing the bracket and making a 1/2" spacer to fit behind the stock carrier. A wheel spacer would work as well.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The stock bracket sticks out 7" so if the one you have adds 2" as it states.
A stock carrier my resolve your issue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts