Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 32x11.5 on a pro comp alloy wheel with 3.75" backspacing. What needs to be done to fit it on the stock spare carrier? Do I just need to put some washers under the brake light to make it taller? Anything else need to be done to fit it? How many washers or how much do I need to extend the 3rd brake light?

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
You might want to space out the rubber tire bumpers so your tire rests snug against them. If you wheel often, a heavy oversized bouncing tire will destroy your tailgate. I used hockey pucks and longer bolts. They are the right thickness, and the rubber is easy to hacksaw around the tailgate hinge. They worked for my 32x11.5's and I did not have to change them when I went to 33x12.5. I just used a bolts and washers under my 3rd brakelight.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean hacksaw around the tailgate hinge? what needs to be sawed? How many hockey pucks do you need total behind the factory rubber? Also in order to fit the tire I will need to extend the 3rd brake light, but how much? how many washers and will I need new bolts?

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
What do you mean hacksaw around the tailgate hinge? what needs to be sawed? How many hockey pucks do you need total behind the factory rubber? Also in order to fit the tire I will need to extend the 3rd brake light, but how much? how many washers and will I need new bolts?
lol, I guess I didn't word that very well. Newer TJ's only have 3 tire bumpers. Two on top, and one at the center under the tailgate. I had to hacksaw part of the hockey puck so it will clear the tailgate hinge, and the top of the tailgate. The only place a full hockey puck will fit is on the latch side. (see pic^). Kind of a 3/4 circle if that makes sense. I did not need new bolts for the brakelight. My stock ones were long enough. I added one 1/2 inch bolt as a spacer, and sandwiched it between two washers on each side of tower. You will however need new bolts to reach through the hockey pucks. Take a stock one to the hardware store and get matching thread pattern at 1" longer.
Kind of a P.I.T.A. for what was going to be a cheap temp fix until I got a real tire carrier/bumper. I keep spending my carrier/bumper money on other crap for the Jeep. This has been working for almost three years.:doh:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, I guess I didn't word that very well. Newer TJ's only have 3 tire bumpers. Two on top, and one at the center under the tailgate. I had to hacksaw part of the hockey puck so it will clear the tailgate hinge, and the top of the tailgate. The only place a full hockey puck will fit is on the latch side. (see pic^). Kind of a 3/4 circle if that makes sense. I did not need new bolts for the brakelight. My stock ones were long enough. I added one 1/2 inch bolt as a spacer, and sandwiched it between two washers on each side of tower. You will however need new bolts to reach through the hockey pucks. Take a stock one to the hardware store and get matching thread pattern at 1" longer.
Kind of a P.I.T.A. for what was going to be a cheap temp fix until I got a real tire carrier/bumper. I keep spending my carrier/bumper money on other crap for the Jeep. This has been working for almost three years.:doh:
Gotcha thanks!

Still trying to figure out what you mean by adding a 1/2" bolt between two washers to the tower though.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Actually whole hockey pucks will fit if you make the holes off center. I saw pictures from someone who cut the pucks to match the stock bumper outline. That looked nice.

You don't need to do anything to the brake light. Mine could be seen over my 33.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Gotcha thanks!

Still trying to figure out what you mean by adding a 1/2" bolt between two washers to the tower though.
I did not have enough washers to clear my 33's so I just tossed a nut, not bolt, inbetween the two washers. Doh!, sorry about that.:banghead: You may not even need them as Neil said. Try it and see. As you can see by my pic, my tire touches the light with about a 3/4" spacer under the light fixture.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run 31's on my TJ and I used nylon washers from Lowes home improvement and some longer bolts to extemd my tire carrier rather than mess with the bumper cost me bout $6
and I can change it back to stock by removing the washers from behind the tire carrier.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
In the above picture, you are missing the the one bumper below the tail gate. The really is the most important one. That's the one that takes the most pressure to keep the carrier from bending down.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
They appear so and they are cut to the outline of the stock bumpers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did kinda what jgorm did except I put my spacers between the tire carrier and the tailgate so I wouldnt have to mess with the bumpers ( some people cut the bumpers so the bigger tire will fit )

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Not sure. Maybe 1" spacers. I eyeballed them and cut them out of a pvc pipe. I had some longer bolts in my garage. Size is not really important.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Will the tailgate really bend down with a 33" spare tire mounted without any modifications from stock carrier? The weight difference between the larger tire vs stock couldnt be that much heavier, is it? I have a BF All terrain 33" tire mounted on stock spare tire carrier right now and am worried if I NEED to mod the carrier to support the bigger tire?? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts