Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
tire carriers

beware: all of the lower end (cheaper) tire carriers have the same issue. they wobble. be prepared to enjoy the sound of a 50lb tire rocking forward and back every time you change speeds, stop, go, hit a bump, go over a rock, etc... i bought a smitty built rear with tire carrier. here is a list of the neat things i learned as a result:
1. you may need a body lift in order to install. (1/2" min)
2. Be ready to drill holes in your frame even if it says "No drill" in the details.
3. don't get one with the grease fitting on top of the hinge, (my tail door snapped it off the second time i opened it)
4. getting the thing closed will require professional wrestling techniques, "Oh speared into the turnbuckle!!" and not good for your jackets.
5. Be ready to relocate your rear view mirror to the top of your windshield, unless you like seeing the awesome tread pattern on your spare and nothing else.
6. Buy an extra wheel spacer so you will be able to actually hang the spare. (i have 10" rims which made it impossible to get the tire on those three studs, $50 later we had my spare mounted. i recommend a 2" spacer.
7. Buy a locking lug nut so someone else doesn't walk off with your spare.

The cheaper carriers are lots of fun, and by fun i mean trouble. the smitty built XRC is spendy but has a much better latching mechanism. the SRC is the same as the one you linked. But all being said even mine still does the one thing they claimed it would...hold my spare tire. The one you listed looks like it mounts to the rear cross member too. :confused:

See what's holding his spare and bumper on? Sheet metal...

This idea is rock solid, and doesn'r require a body lift.

Here is a good idea to make the mount stronger

get one of these spacers even if you have normal 8" rims, it makes mounting the spare sooooo much easier.

locking lug nuts are a good idea, at least one for each wheel (all five)

Watch those grease fittings, this one good

This one BAD

Oh and i found this too...
http://truckandwinch.com/rugged-ridge-11503-60-black-rrc-tire-carrier.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
oops took too long

sorry i took too long getting images for my last post here are some of the things i was talking about...

This bumper is mounted to sheet metal...:eek:

bad bumper mount.jpg

be sure to shore it up like this
good mount.jpg

getting one of these will help get your spare on easier:D
wheel spacers.jpg

smittybilt has the worst location for the grease fitting, your rear door will clip that little bugger right off when you open it all the way. :facepalm:
bad fitting.jpg

make sure you get one that's out of the way.
side good.jpg

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats a good tire carrier that is highly recommended

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ill see if i have the receipt for mine I like it alot.

here is a picture of it kind of lol

I will take some more detailed pictures if you like

it is solid and mounts to the body and the back door, so it opens with the back door instead of seperately

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found this one on Quadratech. it looks very sturdy and since it is mounted using four points it shouldn't wobble, course it says the points are adjustable to take wobble out. It requires some drilling through the tub but the amount of support makes it look solid AND it opens with your tail gate door as one unit so no having the tire carrier come unlatched and swing out while you're driving down the road. It's also only $329.99 i'd at least check it out.
Bestop 61960-01 - HighRock 4x4™ Oversize Tire Carrier for 87-06 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

·
I'm not lost
1,974 Posts
I found this one on Quadratech. it looks very sturdy and since it is mounted using four points it shouldn't wobble, course it says the points are adjustable to take wobble out. It requires some drilling through the tub but the amount of support makes it look solid AND it opens with your tail gate door as one unit so no having the tire carrier come unlatched and swing out while you're driving down the road. It's also only $329.99 i'd at least check it out.
Bestop 61960-01 - HighRock 4x4™ Oversize Tire Carrier for 87-06 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
That is the one Oregonwolf has, bad choice! the tub can not support the weight. especially if you want to add any type of extra weight to it. Like Jerry can's or the over the tire cargo rack. Our shop had to fab up a brace to help keep i from ruining the tub. You guys can take a look at it on the 18th

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'll be building a rear winch bumper with tire carrier at the end of the month. Strong enough to handle my spare. I'll post pick as I build it total cost with out the winch will be around $175.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm running a JCR, it's pretty solid, uses destaco latches and has mounts for gas cans, hilift and CB antenna. I'd recommend getting some frame tie-ins though. SWAG off road makes some and he's in Oregon City.

JcrOffroad, Inc.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I prefer this design:
TJ/LJ Exogate™ Tailgate Kit

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Here's my tire carrier, its very light weight, and cheap.

ForumRunner_20120212_144802.jpg

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Just an FYI, we have changed our bumper and carrier design. The new Carrier holds (2) 2 gallon rotopax, has a Hi-lift/CB mount, adjustable tire (up and down, for tire height and in and out, for backspacing). Our carrier also uses our Bomb-proof spindle and has a plunger latch to latch the carrier open.

JcrOffroad, Inc. Wrangler Rear Deluxe Tire Carrier Bumper (CJ YJ TJ)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
That is the one Oregonwolf has, bad choice! the tub can not support the weight. especially if you want to add any type of extra weight to it. Like Jerry can's or the over the tire cargo rack. Our shop had to fab up a brace to help keep i from ruining the tub. You guys can take a look at it on the 18th
Quadratec shows, as well as the installation manual, that the tub supports 0% of the weight. The holes are for the brackets that attach to the roll bar. Is this not true? I was thinking about this same tire carrier, but went with the HighRock 4x4 bumper with carrier (still opens with gate, but anchored to the bumper instead of having to drill into the tub)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts