Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Wrangler and wondering whether to leave the tire cover on, or not. Have heard pros and cons for the use of tire covers. Thoughts?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just purchased a Wrangler and wondering whether to leave the tire cover on, or not. Have heard pros and cons for the use of tire covers. Thoughts?[/ Previous jeep I had one for a while but the darn bees kept building nests in it. Current one I will not. 5 tire rotation, backup camera in future. It's a personal preference.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I read some posts on this - general feedback (con) is that moisture tends to build up and create more problems than not - that said, the Mopar molded cover in gloss black is pretty sweet.

I personally would not roll advertising a dealer name - and given i now have a spare mount back-up cam, no cover for me

·
Registered
135 Posts
I eliminate the problem entirely on each and every one of my vehicles. I remove the tire from it's external vehicle mount and either store it in the cargo area of the vehicle or bring it into the basement. I've drove tens of thousands of miles on many vehicles and have never had a flat. But if I go on a long trip or serious off-road (which I don't), I'll keep the tire in the vehicle. Otherwise, I keep it in the basement. The tire cover which came with my TJ was all molded from moisture. When I get the anti-theft tire lock key from the dealer (which he forgot to give), I'll take the tire off and bring it into the basement. Will clean the mold from the tire cover and put it back on the tire. If you store the tire in the vehicle, keep the cover on so you can stack items on top the tire and keep them from getting dirty or tire rubber smell.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I eliminate the problem entirely on each and every one of my vehicles. I remove the tire from it's external vehicle mount and either store it in the cargo area of the vehicle or bring it into the basement. I've drove tens of thousands of miles on many vehicles and have never had a flat. But if I go on a long trip or serious off-road (which I don't), I'll keep the tire in the vehicle. Otherwise, I keep it in the basement. The tire cover which came with my TJ was all molded from moisture. When I get the anti-theft tire lock key from the dealer (which he forgot to give), I'll take the tire off and bring it into the basement. Will clean the mold from the tire cover and put it back on the tire. If you store the tire in the vehicle, keep the cover on so you can stack items on top the tire and keep them from getting dirty or tire rubber smell.
Wow. My eyes have been opened. The spare tire is unnecessary. Just a hunk of dead weight hanging on my tailgate. I think I'll sell mine!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I read some posts on this - general feedback (con) is that moisture tends to build up and create more problems than not - that said, the Mopar molded cover in gloss black is pretty sweet.

I personally would not roll advertising a dealer name - and given i now have a spare mount back-up cam, no cover for me
What kind of problems? What general feedback? In this case, moisture is only a problem if it contributes to corrosion? Have you personally seen any evidence of corrosion due to a tire cover being used? Or is this another a friend of friend said.....

Finally who said you have to use a dealer's tire cover?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Wow. My eyes have been opened. The spare tire is unnecessary. Just a hunk of dead weight hanging on my tailgate. I think I'll sell mine!
I think you are a cheap date Jumby. :) There is more BS thrown on these forums than you can shake a stick at. There are opinions and there are facts.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've had no issues with moisture (I'm either in Texas or the mountains) thus far. Protection from the sun is the main thing here and I rotate all 5 wheels. I had this tire cover made right off the bat and tossed the dealer advertisement cover.

This picture was taken coming down from Pikes Peak.

See ya on the trail!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
What kind of problems? What general feedback? In this case, moisture is only a problem if it contributes to corrosion? Have you personally seen any evidence of corrosion due to a tire cover being used? Or is this another a friend of friend said.....

Finally who said you have to use a dealer's tire cover?
Feedback from owners on forums - I'm a new owner who has looked into options/feedback like you're doing.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've had no issues with moisture (I'm either in Texas or the mountains) thus far. Protection from the sun is the main thing here and I rotate all 5 wheels. I had this tire cover made right off the bat and tossed the dealer advertisement cover.

This picture was taken coming down from Pikes Peak.

See ya on the trail!!!
I've hiked that peak - awesome pic!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Feedback from owners on forums - I'm a new owner who has looked into options/feedback like you're doing.
I see. Did any of these so-called experts mention the presence of corrosion as a result of using a tire cover? Trust but verify. You still have not said yes or no.

I am not looking into options. I have a tire cover and am very satisfied with it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I live in a high theft City and I have the cover to be a deterrent to thieves. Yes, they can still steal my wheel but Crackheads are opportunity driven thieves. When a crackhead walks by and sees the exposed lugnuts staring at them they get ideas. The other upside is I want to keep my Jeep low profile and clean looking, the exposed spare is flashy and has a strong effect on appearance. Many love the look of the spare on the back but I hate it. I wish it was mounted elsewhere but I understand why it's back there.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Cons - easy to steal. I do want to get a blank one and customize it at a print shop, however I can't figure out how to be able to lock it up to prevent theft.
Thieves are interested in your tire not your tire cover which at best they can sell for a few bucks, less if it's faded.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I live in a high theft City and I have the cover to be a deterrent to thieves. Yes, they can still steal my wheel but Crackheads are opportunity driven thieves. When a crackhead walks by and sees the exposed lugnuts staring at them they get ideas. The other upside is I want to keep my Jeep low profile and clean looking, the exposed spare is flashy and has a strong effect on appearance. Many love the look of the spare on the back but I hate it. I wish it was mounted elsewhere but I understand why it's back there.
Good point. A further delaying tactic. It can't hurt Chit. A lot of BS in this thread so far.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts