Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help me out. I just had my tires rotated today and there was some cupping on the front. They told me it wasn't a safety issue but it might not be as smooth of a ride. I haven't noticed any vibrating yet, just loud noise. When I hit 55mph though, I did notice that my back tires (the ones that were on the front that are cupped) started to skate and it freaked me out a bit, not going to lie. Is this normal? Will the skating eventually go away? I leave for a conference in two days and will be taking the interstate and I really don't want it to be an issue. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts
It does not sound normal. Tires sliding / skating under normal driving sounds bad to me.
How long did you go between tire rotations? I take it you are doing 4 tire rotations and not 5 tire rotations? I think I would rather have a 5 tire rotation in this case.
Have you figured out why your tires are cupped? Bad shocks?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have no idea what tire skating means. Are you saying the back end is loosing traction and/or producing vehicle directional change?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just asking what tires you have ? i got the BF Goodrich M/T and rotate at 4,000 miles . They are still loud but if you rotate it will get better after 2/300 miles .

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
You didn’t mention size or type of tires.
If stock BFG mud terrains, they need to be rotated around every 5k or the fronts will start to cup.

Did the mechanic bump the pressure up?
What pressure are they set to?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I'm assuming these are stock wheels? This is not the first cupping complaint I've heard on stock wheels.

My personal take on factory wheels.... the pressure is too high right out of the starting gate. I think FCA pumped them up as a cheap way of addressing the poor gas mileage. The end result however is incredibly bad tire wear. I wouldn't run stock wheels at more than 30... but that's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does not sound normal. Tires sliding / skating under normal driving sounds bad to me.
How long did you go between tire rotations? I take it you are doing 4 tire rotations and not 5 tire rotations? I think I would rather have a 5 tire rotation in this case.
Have you figured out why your tires are cupped? Bad shocks?
I am doing only four tire rotations, not five. And I haven’t figured out what the problem is yet. I haven’t had a chance to take it anywhere 😕

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just asking what tires you have ? i got the BF Goodrich M/T and rotate at 4,000 miles . They are still loud but if you rotate it will get better after 2/300 miles .
I have the stock BFG MTs. The cupping is only happening on the front. I don’t mind them being loud but it sounds like something is in my tire (there isn’t anything) that keeps hitting the ground so it’s not just a constant loudness. The faster I go, the more I hear it. Just kinda annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You didn’t mention size or type of tires.
If stock BFG mud terrains, they need to be rotated around every 5k or the fronts will start to cup.

Did the mechanic bump the pressure up?
What pressure are they set to?
They are stock mud terrains. He didn’t bump the pressure up. They are set to 37. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I think 37 is the factory recommended pressure on a Rubicon.

A few years ago I picked up a set of Rubicon take off wheels and tires. The original owner went 18K without rotating. I put the cupped tires on the back and my Jeep handles like crap for about 500 miles until the cupped tires started to wear in.

I think you are OK to keep driving.

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts
I am doing only four tire rotations, not five. And I haven’t figured out what the problem is yet. I haven’t had a chance to take it anywhere 😕
When your front tires are worn like that a five tire rotation starts to be a better choice as one of the poorly worn tires can be moved to the spare location. Easier if only one tire has poor wear in my opinion.
As someone asked, how many miles between rotations. The stock mud tires don't like going too long between rotations, 4,000 miles or so is usually good. If you wait too long to rotate you can have some issues. Those issues may go away as the tires wear in to their new locations. But if it is bad enough you may not be able to give them the time required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts