Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying I most likely will be getting rid of the Jeep in the spring next year.

I am needing tires very badly now though as I really don't think mine will be safe enough through the winter (with only a few 32's left), so my options as I've not found anything decent used up here are:

1. Buy some winter tires (Firestone Winterforce 2 UV 265/75-15 or about 30.5") and stick them on my existing 15" rims (I can get these at a really good price.) If I still have the Jeep in the spring, keep driving on them till I sell it :/

2. Buy 4 rims and tires (and skip the spare just because I'm cheap.:tomatoes:) Best bet for inexpensive but decent up here are Cooper Discoverer X-T4 (265/75-16 or about 31.5") and some 16" American Racing Baja wheels (15x8 0 offset.)​

Option 2 is about 2.3x the price of option 1, but will make the Jeep more valuable when I sell it (even if I don't do the spare,) plus I can sell my existing rims/tires as beaters for a couple hundred maybe.
Option 1 definitely has the advantage of being over 1/2 the price though...

I so hate making decisions like this, lol... Any opinions?

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you're for sure going to shed it next Spring, go as cheap as you can. The next buyer would probably prefer to pick his own tires and wheels out and you can keep the price down at the same time.

·
Administrator
12,500 Posts
see if a local 4x4 shop has any stock take offs, usually can find all 4 or 5 for a decent deal.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No craigslist up here, but I've been checking Kijiji for stuff, Everyone wants more then retail new prices for used stuff or its junk... :/
I'll have to pop into 4wheelparts and see if they have anything but last time I was there they didn't have a single TJ part in stock (new or otherwise)...

I'm starting to think Mud Soup has it right. Unless I paid for some in demand tires like Falkens or BFGs I may as well just go with the cheap option. Would make it nice and safe in the winter too at least being a pure winter tire...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
When you get rid of your Jeep, are you replacing it with a new Wrangler? If so, get exactly what you want, and keep your old tires. When it comes time to trade, put your old tires back on and use your new tires on the new Jeep. :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right ones came in today!

Drove around the wet today with them and they seem great so far (to early to tell for sure I know!) I'm amazed how much bigger 1" diameter makes in the size and look of a tire! Glad I went with these, the shop was great (gave me a tiny bit more off an already great price due to the wrong size last time,) and they did an excellent job cleaning up the rims and mounting the tires... nice and smooth in the testing I did today on the roads and highway so far! :)

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got almost 3 whole days outta my new tires :/ Someone on the highway decided they wanted to cut me off and then brake checked me hard. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts