Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grooved my TSL SX tires today. I did this once before but I only went down about 1/4" deep. That was awhile ago. Today I re-grooved them down to the depth of the lugs. I think it helps make the difference between spinning tires and them grabbing traction. Maybe not a huge difference but every little bit helps. Plus I was bored and looking for something to do.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
ygohome said:
I grooved my TSL SX tires today. I did this once before but I only went down about 1/4" deep. That was awhile ago. Today I re-grooved them down to the depth of the lugs. I think it helps make the difference between spinning tires and them grabbing traction. Maybe not a huge difference but every little bit helps. Plus I was bored and looking for something to do.
Whoa how long did that take for 5 tires?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did 1.5 tires (38" diameter) in about 30 minute. I'll do the rest another day. I got tired. Lol

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll do a quick video of the process next weekend when I finish up the other tires. It will show the grooving tool and technique I use. It will also give you an idea how much work is involved. It is not difficult, just takes a little time

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep, Ideal Tire Iron here too. I bought mine from this place a few years ago...

Deluxe 250 Watt Grooving Iron

My groover's been used by at least 4 others in my jeep club. Its not a bad little device, and goes through the tire tread pretty easily. Trick is not to push it too fast and to take a rest every now and then

1 - 11 of 11 Posts