Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 4dr sport. I want to put a more aggressive tire on. I was thinking of a 265 75R 16. I think with a little bigger of a tire and and smaller rim, I will get the look, plus the capability that i'm looking for. Any suggestions
Thanks,
OlllO

·
Registered
472 Posts
What size tires do you have now? A 265/75R/16 is a 32x10.5" which is the same size as the upgraded tires (if you have them).

You could also go with a 33x11.5" but you would have to get a 1.5" spacer to make the backspacing 4.75" to eliminate rubbing. You are using your stock wheels right?

What type of tire do you want? All Terrain, Mud Terrain, Street?

If youre not using stock wheels, get one with 4.5" of backspacing or less.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I have a 255 75R 17, goodyear Wranglers. I like the Goodyear Wrangler line and wanted to go with the duratrac's. I just really want to make sure that I can fit the 265 75 16, which I think I can. Plus I like the idea of a smaller rim. I want to wait before I upgrade the suspension, or do any lifts until the warranty runs out.

Thanks for you help

FC
OllllO

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
FCJK33 said:
One more thing. Do you think I will have the clearnace on a 32inch tire. I think I should be fine.
Read Clutch's comment again--a 32" tire comes STOCK on many Wranglers. So of course you'll clear it. The tire size you're thinking about going to is essentially the same size you have now, just with less wheel and more rubber.

·
Registered
472 Posts
a 32" tire comes STOCK on many Wranglers. So of course you'll clear it.
Exactly--

If you want a better stance and performance, getting a 33x11.5 would be a good choice.

A 285/75R/16 is a common size for 33's and is one size up from 255/75R/17 with just a bigger sidewall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help guys. So are you saying that without a lift kit I can fit the 285/75R/16 on the stock truck? If thats the case I think you make a great point with the 33's.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
FCJK33 said:
Thanks for your help guys. So are you saying that without a lift kit I can fit the 285/75R/16 on the stock truck? If thats the case I think you make a great point with the 33's.
Yes, if you get wheels with the proper backspacing.

4.75" or less seems to be the sweet spot. If you get wheels with higher backspacing, the tires will rub on various components when you turn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see, so it's more about the rubbing on the turn rather then the height right? I was looking at the procomp 7069 16inch rims for the new tire. I will have to check the back spacing on that. So anything lower then 4.75 and I should be fine?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Another option since you've thought of the Duratracs and or possibly switching wheels at the same time. 33x12.5R15 works great on a 2 door JK and does not require any modifications to run if you get a wheel with 19mm offset and -3.75 backspacing. You'll lose weight on this set up too so your MPG will improve. You can also run it at stock height but I think you'll prefer the look and articulation a little lift would give in addition. One pic of this set up below. Ok maybe three.:angel:

1" lift with 33x12.5R15

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a great looking truck. I wanted to hold off on the lift for now. Do you think I could do something simialr without the lift? I also want to know how you like those Duratracs. My brother had them on an FJ Crusier and had them taken off, because he did not like the way they handled. I have only heard good things. How do they drive on and off road?

·
Registered
472 Posts
That is a great looking truck. I wanted to hold off on the lift for now. Do you think I could do something simialr without the lift? I also want to know how you like those Duratracs. My brother had them on an FJ Crusier and had them taken off, because he did not like the way they handled. I have only heard good things. How do they drive on and off road?
You can fit that exact setup that ESP123 has with no lift at all. But like MTH and I have said, you would need to get wheels with the proper backspacing, or wheel spacers on the stock wheels.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
The Duratracs are great and you'll find a lot of Jeepers on here say how much they like them. I've had two sets and both were fantastic on/off road. There are many positive reviews "google" regarding them being used on a vehicle that is not only a daily driver but also for consistent wheeling. You brother may have had an experience with them that he did not like but look into reviews and talk with others here on the board and you'll find the vast majority like them very much. You could run this set up without a lift but if you wheel in places where you need more articulation without rubbing on your flares you will appreciate having either a 1" or 2-2.5" lift with them. You want to maintain a balanced look with your rig and most would agree that although 33" will work on a stock set up, it functions and looks much better with the right clearance.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
While I don't have a JK, I do have the Duratracs in the 33x12.50x15 size. I have had nothing but a positive experience with them and they got me through some decent 2' mud, they do great through standing water on the road, and regular highway driving.

The same mud that my brother's 35' Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains got stuck in heh heh

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I, too, have the 33x12.5r15 Goodyear Duratracs and have nothing but good things to say. They look great, are relatively quiet, and perform off road and in water. Mine's not a JK but you get the idea.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I acutally just looked it up and it read with a 16X8 rim with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern it's a 4" back space.
You are all over it, I think you should go with 33"s in my opinion and your wheels you are looking at with the right backspacing would work. Heck you can always throw in an inexpensive express lift for not much extra if you wanted to, but what you are looking at I think works fine. I just don't think you are gonna get what I think you want going to 32" tires. It is a pretty nice difference to 33"s.

Post pics!!!!! We wanna see them!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another option since you've thought of the Duratracs and or possibly switching wheels at the same time. 33x12.5R15 works great on a 2 door JK and does not require any modifications to run if you get a wheel with 19mm offset and -3.75 backspacing. You'll lose weight on this set up too so your MPG will improve. You can also run it at stock height but I think you'll prefer the look and articulation a little lift would give in addition. One pic of this set up below. Ok maybe three.:angel:

1" lift with 33x12.5R15
Is your JK a '10 by chance? I am trying to upgrade my '10 wheels/tires and that is perfect. I am worried about the brakes fitting in a 15" wheel. What gears? Have the bigger tires significantly reduced your performance?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts