Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2008 JK. Stock Goodyear Wrangler 255/75/17 Tires. I need to get new tires and would like to go to 265/70/17. There are more options at better prices. If I was to get 4 tires at 265/70/17 would I be safe with saving the old spare? If I had a blowout on the highway or something would I be safe with driving on the (255) and 3 (265)? and for how long?. Help me, my wife is freaking out because she thinks we will need to buy 5 tires if I change the size. I can get (265) at a better price and more aggressive tread if I only have to buy 4.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You will be fine using your old 255 as a spare. You're only looking at about 1/2" difference in height.

Just to be on the safe side, look at it as you would a donut spare and just use it long enough to get you safely back to someplace to get your tire fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So I have a 2008 JK. Stock Goodyear Wrangler 255/75/17 Tires. I need to get new tires and would like to go to 265/70/17. There are more options at better prices. If I was to get 4 tires at 265/70/17 would I be safe with saving the old spare? If I had a blowout on the highway or something would I be safe with driving on the (255) and 3 (265)? and for how long?. Help me, my wife is freaking out because she thinks we will need to buy 5 tires if I change the size. I can get (265) at a better price and more aggressive tread if I only have to buy 4.
Be careful if you have an LSD. That 1/2" or so of tire height will ruin the factory no spin diff. If you do have an LSD, ensure that shorter tire doesn't get put on that axle.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'd prefer to have them all the same, but if you're going to run a different sized spare, I'd probably make sure to put the smaller tire on the front axle and run in 2wd, making sure both tires on the drive axle are the same. I don't know what speed differential causes the brake lock diff to activate, but that would be my concern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts