Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to off-road tires, my spirited driving would always wear out sports car tires so often this was never an issue :)
I'm planning a long road trip, the tire tread looks like it has a bit of life left, but just curious if these cracks (2 photos below) are a safety issue on the highway, not so worried about off-road trails but don't want a blowout at 80+. The DOT code ends in 1916 so they'll be 5 years old in May. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Pictures did not come thru.

Reactions: Morris4x4Center

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Yep, time for new tires. I had tires look like that and my wife ripped both front tires off the rim in a parking lot. I would not chance it.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
75,232 Posts
They need to be replaced. Here in Arizona, because of the heat, four year max. Ones life is worth more, than the price of tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm young and new to tires. Needed to see this. Handed down the tires + wheels from families old jeep. Will need to make sure this isn't an issue. Thanks for this everyone.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Holy Cow! Are you in Arizona or Death Valley or something? I have 10 year old tires in my shed that have no cracks at all.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,443 Posts
Looks like salt and heat combo. Not good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I pickup a 2014 Sahara about 3 months ago, the tires looked good, however there was some uneven ware on the front tires outside edges and they where 7 years old. This put some doubt in my mind about the overall condition of the tires. Just to be on the safe side I replaced them including the spare. The jeep rides better, handles better, and the tires are quieter. As it is said about tires, "When in doubt, change them out".

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,709 Posts
Tire age is something I find people have a hard time grasping...take miles out of the equation...10 years after a tire has been manufactered having never been mounted it has changed enough on the molecular level that it really is not supposed to be used...5 years after its been mounted and subject to the elements they have changed enough...on a car you can get away with stretching it a little seeing as how if you get a flat most likely your life isnt in danger...in my motorcycle group...we adhere to the 5 year max rule religiously being that you only have 2 tires and your life is much more at risk losing a tire on a bike than in a car....so as to your cracked tire at 6 years old it falls in the needs replaced category...people like to argue that older tires "look" fine...well you cant see the molecules hardening and changing the composition of the compound making the tire more brittle...jmo....

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
75,232 Posts
Tire age is something I find people have a hard time grasping...take miles out of the equation...10 years after a tire has been manufactered having never been mounted it has changed enough on the molecular level that it really is not supposed to be used...5 years after its been mounted and subject to the elements they have changed enough...on a car you can get away with stretching it a little seeing as how if you get a flat most likely your life isnt in danger...in my motorcycle group...we adhere to the 5 year max rule religiously being that you only have 2 tires and your life is much more at risk losing a tire on a bike than in a car....so as to your cracked tire at 6 years old it falls in the needs replaced category...people like to argue that older tires "look" fine...well you cant see the molecules hardening and changing the composition of the compound making the tire more brittle...jmo....
BINGO..100% agree....

Reactions: Jay2011JK

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
FYI:
When does NHTSA recommend that tires should be replaced?

While tire life will ultimately depend on the tires’ service conditions and the environment in which they operate, there are some general guidelines. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that tires be replaced every six years regardless of use. In addition, a number of tire manufacturers cite 10 years as the maximum service life for tires. Check the owner’s manual for specific recommendations for your vehicle. Remember, it is always wise to err on the side of caution if you suspect your vehicle has tires that are over six years of age.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy Cow! Are you in Arizona or Death Valley or something? I have 10 year old tires in my shed that have no cracks at all.
Looks like salt and heat combo. Not good.
No salt, just 4.5 years in Denver, Colorado. Seems like they're aging faster than expected so maybe BF Goodrich had some quality control issues around that time, but regardless I ordered new tires & they should be here Friday. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts