Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan to get nitto ridge grappler 285/70r17. Discount tire lists them in the following ratings.
116q - SL rated, 14" tread depth, 49 lbs
116q - C1 rated, 17" tread depth, 55 lbs
121q - E1 rated, 17" tread depth, 55 lbs

It's my daily. Mostly on road. Only done light offroad trails in this jeep.

I think E would be unneccessary for me. The SL is about $50 cheaper per tire. Would I regret the SL tires with flimsier side walls and lower tread depth? Im assuming SL is 4ply but it doesn't specify. Don't want to feel like the tire is folding over on every corner. Or should I go with C with more tread depth and thicker side walls?

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Plan to get nitto ridge grappler 285/70r17. Discount tire lists them in the following ratings.
116q - SL rated, 14" tread depth, 49 lbs
116q - C1 rated, 17" tread depth, 55 lbs
121q - E1 rated, 17" tread depth, 55 lbs

It's my daily. Mostly on road. Only done light offroad trails in this jeep.

I think E would be unneccessary for me. The SL is about $50 cheaper per tire. Would I regret the SL tires with flimsier side walls and lower tread depth? Im assuming SL is 4ply but it doesn't specify. Don't want to feel like the tire is folding over on every corner. Or should I go with C with more tread depth and thicker side walls?
RG's have healthy sidewalls to begin with. If you're not playing in the rocks offroad, I'd say the SL's would do the trick. My daughter has the RG C's and that sidewall is firmer than my D rated Patagonia's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts