Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were looking for a new JK for the misses (DD). Wanted to know if there was much different in noise level in the cab on the stock tires between the Sport and the Rubicon. We like the Rubicon look and features. Any help on this matter.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I have driven both the Sahara Unlimited with ATs on it for 8 months and the Rubicon Unlimited with MTs for three years. There is a slight difference in the noise but the MTs that come stock have a tread pattern that keeps the noise to a minimum compared to aggressive MTs. Look at the stock MTs tread pattern an you will see that the lands overlap each other in the next row. The grooves are pretty narrow for a MT type tire. All of this means that the noise factor is reduced. I could barely tell the difference. Test drive them both and see what you think.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
E-A2002TJ said:
We were looking for a new JK for the misses (DD). Wanted to know if there was much different in noise level in the cab on the stock tires between the Sport and the Rubicon. We like the Rubicon look and features. Any help on this matter.
I would recommend a test drive because it's hard to explain in words. Is the wrangler loud? Absolutely. Are the tires themselves loud? Not so much. The air noise is a whole lot louder than the tires. If I take my doors and top off I can hear my tires and I have the sport running Yokohama AT-S tires. If you are concerned about noise at all, you should worry more about the noise of the air. The hardtops get rid of most of the noise but my jeep at 65 with the soft top is as loud as my VW at 130

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
^^ X2 on that.

Even with the hard top on, there is a lot of noise. But it is somewhat less. Not a lot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I should of mention that we are looking at the hardtop. The local dealer here has only the sports in stock and when they do get a Rubicon in they usually sell it before I can take it for a test drive. Thanks again.

·
Statler & Waldorf Show
835 Posts
What does the misses cup size have to do with tire noise? :hide:

Blame the vanilla shake at lunch for that one.... :angel:

Agree with previous posters. No matter the top you will get more wind noise than tire noise, on stock tires. A few test drives a month ago, I couldn't tell much of a difference on tire noise, but then the Sport was hard top and Rubicon was soft top. Was harder to pinpoint tire noise with the noisier soft top and do a real compare.

You could always ask the misses how her day went, or turn up the stereo. Either could help drown out some of the noise. :whistling:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was very surprised how quite the stock rubi tires were. By looking at them I thought they would have been a lot louder. I'm sure there would be plenty of people that would trade you new rubi wheel and tires for sahara's if the noise ends up being a problem. Actually I have heard some all terrain tires that are louder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts