Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at tires for my 2012 JK Unlimited... I have General Grabber AT2s on there now but it doesn't look like they make 'em anymore (unless I'm missing something...) Any thoughts on the Kuhmo Road Venture AT51 or the Cooper Discoverer A/T3? I like the BFGoodrich T/A KO2 but they sure are a bit more money, and I'm replacing all 5 tires. I'm in Southern California and most of my driving is around town or highway...

Thanks!

Carl

·
Registered
569 Posts
What size are you looking for? For street driving, I tend to take door #3 and buy wheel/tire take offs on craigslist. Never paid more than $250 for a set of 5. Typically, there are 4 that are 2/3 full tread and 1 that's never been driven on.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm looking at tires for my 2012 JK Unlimited... I have General Grabber AT2s on there now but it doesn't look like they make 'em anymore (unless I'm missing something...) Any thoughts on the Kuhmo Road Venture AT51 or the Cooper Discoverer A/T3? I like the BFGoodrich T/A KO2 but they sure are a bit more money, and I'm replacing all 5 tires. I'm in Southern California and most of my driving is around town or highway...

Thanks!

Carl
Cooper makes excellent tires. I have had several sets of AT and MTs. They have all performed great. Kuhmo is a cheaper tire and also more known for passenger car tires. I would stick with the Coopers IMO.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I had a set of Coopers on my wife's Journey, had a warranty issue and they were horrible to work with. Never again for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
Both are very good tires. The Kumho's will outperform the Cooper's in bad weather... The Cooper's have a more passenger tire appearance but have excellent road manners. If you have snow, buy the Kumho's, if not buy the Cooper's.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Cooper tires are awesome, and they are one of only two American tire company's left.
I have Cooper ST/MAXX on two JKU's and my JK.
Mine have over 44K miles and still going strong.
I also have Cooper AT3-LT's on my Cummins Ram.
I did have Kumho's on the Ram, and wasn't very happy with the mileage I got, granted, it does weigh 8K #'s, I'm sure they would live much better on a JK.
With all that said, my choice would be Cooper

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
While I don't have direct experience with Cooper, I have direct experience with Kumho (other tires, same company). And I would definitely go with the Coopers. Kumho's are a decent budget oriented tire. While the Coopers appear to be a tire that can be compared with most any other tire without having to make excuses for them (as in, "For the price they are good tires").
And I also prefer buying American when possible. If the American tire is also a better tire it should be a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts

Thanks!

Carl
According to the General Tire web site, they do still make the Grabber AT2 tires.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-at2

I have been buying Cooper tires for years and I have always like them a lot. I have BFG KO2 tires on my JKU because I wanted something a little more aggressive than the Cooper AT tires.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'd go with Cooper.

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts

Thanks!

Carl
For SoCal, the Coopers would be the better choice.

But, you mentioned the Generals... If you liked them, they have a new tire called the ATx that would be worth checking out. It's basically an updated AT2.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-atx

·
Registered
51 Posts

Thanks!

Carl
I have a 2013 JKU and always had a problem with my back end sliding out on corners with the stock Goodyear's. Also, they royally sucked in snow now. Got a recommendation for Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's and picked them up very reasonable from Discount Tire Direct (online). Had them mounted and the Cooper's stick to the road like glue. Lots of snow where I live and they performed extremely well. The Discoverer Pro's are M/T's so they're a bit noisy on asphalt. I understand the new Milestar Patagonia's are just like the Coopers except a little less expensive and much quieter.
Hope this helps Carl...

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just started using Cooper ST MAXX on my Jeep and so far they are excellent. I love Kumhos for cars and on my 4th set of Ecsta 4X. However, I am dubious of Kumho's material scientists for off-road tires. I just don't think they can hack it long term at the modest price point they roll in with.

I would wager on the Coopers for longterm viability with reasonable dirt potential over the Kumhos, especially if you're looking at the AT3 4S which will have snow cred. However, under your stated needs, and in your desired size, I would personally go with the Yoko Geolandar G015. I think will be more streetable than the other two and still have snow cred if you wanna run up to Big Bear in January.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts