Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2013 JKU on Saturday. Ive put about 300 miles on it already, and I noticed randomly today that the TPS was reading 40 and 41 PSI, and its actually about 20-25 degrees cooler today than it has been. This seamed high to me so I checked the sticker inside the door panel and it says the tires should be at 35psi.

Any idea why mine are inflated so much? It came with Goodyear Wrangler tires if that makes any difference. Is there anything that could have been damaged running this high? At 300 miles, I dont know that the tires will really wear all that unevenly if I get it corrected. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Dealers and tire installers seldom care what the pressure is. More times than none after getting home from new tire install my pressure was random. I had a tire at 50 psi once. Go with the door tag inflation rate of 35psi if running stock size tires.. Over or under inflation will cause wear issues.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My 2013 JK had 45lbs I discovered after a stiff 60 mile drive home. I lowered to the recommended 37. I think they all leave the factory high for unknown reason. Doubt you hurt your tired.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Now I'm going to have to double check my door tag. I could have sworn it said 39 was the recommended pressure. When I picked it up it was on 42 but it's dropped as the weather has cooled.

Also be sure to check them after oil changes. I had one shop always air my TJ's tires up to anywhere betwen 35-45 when the sticker clearly said 29.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
they just want you to get better mpg so you will tell everyone that after getting your oil changed your mpg went up lol.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
WTF? Just adjust the PSI to the correct amount.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Never assume a dealer did anything to prep a vehicle for delivery....

·
Registered
7 Posts
just had my oil changed yesterday, i will have to check my pressure because now that it has been mentioned my wifes liberty was at 45 lbs after her last oil change, the dealer even pumped the tires on my srt-8 challenger up to 40 lbs at the last oil change. not sure why they do that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are all 2013 tire placards on the door jamb showing 35PSI? The reason I ask is because my placard specs the 225/65 16". The dealer sold it to me with the optional 255/75 17" Sport S wheels and tires and I was just wondering what the 17" wheels and tires call for.

And BTW, my dash displays about 2 PSI higher than my Summit mechanical gauge. I'll just shoot for the difference.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are all 2013 tire placards on the door jamb showing 35PSI? The reason I ask is because my placard specs the 225/65 16". The dealer sold it to me with the optional 255/75 17" Sport S wheels and tires and I was just wondering what the 17" wheels and tires call for.

And BTW, my dash displays about 2 PSI higher than my Summit mechanical gauge. I'll just shoot for the difference.

Thanks for the input!
My JKU sport S had the 17" wheels standard and it says 35 on the inside of the door.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for the input!
I have the same thing. The dash shows 37, but both my digital and my old school gauge show 35. I trust the gauge more than the dash.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Definitely check the tires after you pick the vehicle up from the dealer. My door sticker recommends 37 in the '13 JKUR. I checked mine cold the day after driving nearly 400 miles home from the dealer. They were all at 47. (It still rode much smoother than my '03)

An installer will often overinflate tires to seat the beads. I guess it's too much to expect a dealer to check the tire pressures before delivery. The overinflation won't hurt anything...unless you run that pressure for a long time, in which case you will notice the center of your tires wearing faster than the edges.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I called the dealer and told him to make sure pressure was 37psi. I picked it up and drove it four miles home. 45 psi on my gage on all five tires. Let it sit and it was 43 so I took it down to 38. I'll have it checked by tire store to see if my gage is correct

1 - 20 of 36 Posts