Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took rims and tires from my 2007 JK and put them on a 2016 JK (without breaking down the tires and rims that were on the 2016)

Now I have low tire pressure light and also a low tire display on the dash for all for tires.

Is there a way to turn off the dash indicators (the light and the display)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The pressure sensors in the 2007 wheels aren't compatible with the 2016 TPMS system. (They changed starting in 2013). I don't think there is any way to turn off the TPMS warning on the dash.

You'll need to install the proper sensors on your new wheels.

Edit.. As an afterthought, you could probably use a programmer, like the AEV Procal to disable the TPMS warning.. But I wouldn't do that. TPMS is a safety system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I checked on price of sensors. 106 each plus 160 for the dealer to install and program. So it seems I'm looking at around $600.

I get it that the TPMS is a safety system but also we did pretty well without tire pressure indication on the dash for decades.

I will have to study options and perhaps look into the AEA Procal that you mention (might cost less than the sensors).

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Procal or flashcal can disable if I remember correctly. I did the same thing a few years ago, and honestly just live with it.

However I will try out some cheaper aftermarket sensors on my next set of tires. Not worth it to me to do oem.

·
Super Moderator
4,557 Posts
I like the TPMS system. I have an AEV ProCal that can either turn the system off or change the pressure it turns the light on at. If you don't want to replace the sensors, you could spend the $170 on the AEV ProCal. It has other uses as well, like adjusting for gearing.
Or, you could buy a set of aftermarket sensors for around $40 each and have a tire shop install them for a few bucks. There should not be any "programming" required.

·
Registered
905 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1HPNUO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$50 and I believe these are the oem sensors. Made in the uk and comes in through Alaska. I bought aftermarket wheels and used these sensors and I didn’t have any kind of programming done. Heard several arguments on having to program but all I did was disconnect the battery for thirty minutes and mine were good. Took a few miles (5) to clear and I’m not sure I needed to disconnect. Local tire store will probably beat the dealer and just get them balanced at the same time. $20 a tire here.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
These are even a better deal:
https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Dodge-Pressure-Sensors-56029398AB/dp/B00O7TXHBO/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1541525816&vehicle=2017-42-356-------------0&sr=1-5&ymm=2017%3Ajeep%3Awrangler&keywords=2017+Jeep+wrangler+TPMS+valve+stems&dpID=410-zO%252Bx45L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

There is no programming. The valve stem add on sends a signal and the sensors on the vehicle pick up the signal. The issue with the older TPMS stems is they are on a different frequency. Any senders on 433MHZ should work. Many of them come in sets of four since the donut spare doesn't have one. Our Jeeps have five wheels/tires so a set of five is a little harder to find.

If you want, you can install them yourself. All it takes is a ratchet strap and an air compressor. Deflate the tire, pop the outside bead at the valve stem and remove the old stems. Then insert the new ones. Use the ratchet strap around the tire to hold the bead near the rim and inflate. The bead will now pop on. Done this many times on tractor tires that have been knocked out of bead in rough terrain.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have always had good luck with used sensors off of eBay. I also have the procal and used it to turn the system off when one of my sensors went bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts