Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tpms on the front right of my JKUR went out during our first cold spell (it shows blank on that tire while the other 3 show 37 psi). The pressure on that tire is also at 37 psi. Is this something that I could fix quickly like resetting the system, for example, or will I need to take it into the shop?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
...see your dealer...you have a 2013 with likely a faulty sensor...

cost to replace +/-$50...should be under warranty...it is a DOT required item so they shouldn't balk...

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
...see your dealer...you have a 2013 with likely a faulty sensor...

cost to replace +/-$50...should be under warranty...it is a DOT required item so they shouldn't balk...
DOT required? It may be required for the manufacturer, but not the end user.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine did the same thing a couple of months ago. After about 3 weeks it cleared itself. Don't know the reason but working fine now.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
DOT required? It may be required for the manufacturer, but not the end user.
yeah Tom...i'm sorry i was a bit less than precise about what i was saying.

i meant that the warranty should cover his problem because it is a mandated safety item.

there are so many people that have trouble with these things in the first year of the new vehicle, and it seems like only about half of the dealer/manufacturers are stepping up to fixing them.

i see about 6 or 8 a week in the shop...some are old/damaged, but quite a few are less than a year old...

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
It's a really bad system and not at all suited to an off road vehicle. I learned that constant airing down causes the batteries to die early and they are not replaceable. Because of the difficulty getting to the filter on a 3.7 we take our Liberty to the dealer for oil changes. I still do the tire rotations myself and maintain the proper psi. One time they told me the TPMS in one of the wheels was broken and they fixed it at a cost of $65. I fought it and had the charge removed. My account is now noted that they are not to check my tires. These things are far too fragile.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
It's a really bad system and not at all suited to an off road vehicle. I learned that constant airing down causes the batteries to die early and they are not replaceable. Because of the difficulty getting to the filter on a 3.7 we take our Liberty to the dealer for oil changes. I still do the tire rotations myself and maintain the proper psi. One time they told me the TPMS in one of the wheels was broken and they fixed it at a cost of $65. I fought it and had the charge removed. My account is now noted that they are not to check my tires. These things are far too fragile.
they don't hold up well to this bitter -10F cold here either...that combined with a "curb check" makes for a wheel/tire full of plastic shrapnel...

and the 20 people a day that pull up and say...there is a little yellow light on...

...my techs are forever filling tires with air, and resetting systems...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts