Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about tire pressure on our jeeps, I decided to check on both the wranglers today.

Mine with 33's was over 50lbs.:atomic:
My son's were over 40. Max on sidewall is 35. Only 235-75-15 tires for now. Soon to be 31's.

His jeep definitely rides better.

Haven't taken mine out yet. I'm sure there will be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Id highly suggest checking with a different tire gauge. I went through two vehicles that were reading super low before I got to the car with tpms and realized on a second gauge the first was off by about 5 psi.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked and double checked. Thanks.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Tire shop employees are notorious for not understanding how to arrive at the correct pressure for tires and routinely grossly overinflate them.

33x12.50 tires that are supporting a vehicle with the typical weight of a Wrangler should be between 26 and 28 psi. 26 around town, 28 on the highway when fully loaded.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Jerry.. that sounds crazy low! But being a mechanic. I've seen it all I know the door jamb of an 02 honda crv states to set to 26psi. Working at a honda dealer most workers are aware of that but set them to 32 anyway. Most of them have trailor hitches or are full of hoarder nasty ass people garbage squatting the suspension like a low rider.. and I see atleast 1 car a month that the tires are set to 70psi or better. (Cars) most I've seen was 90psi in some wack jobs civic hybrid. I don't even know how he physically did that! I and when I say I I mean everyone at my dealer has issues with hybrid drivers... there not all there.. can't say what I want to incase this gets public lol... but holy shit. This being said. I keep my wrangler at 33psi. Anything lower than 31 and it feels sluggy and floaty. Anything over 34 and it will beat the day lights of of you! When I bought it they were at 30 psi. I aired them to 35 and gained 2mpg. (Consistent) but the jack hammering was to much..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire shop employees are notorious for not understanding how to arrive at the correct pressure for tires and routinely grossly overinflate them.

33x12.50 tires that are supporting a vehicle with the typical weight of a Wrangler should be between 26 and 28 psi. 26 around town, 28 on the highway when fully loaded.
Thanks for the info. I got them at 28 now.

Just got back from a little test drive. Amazing what a difference the new pressure makes. My wife agreed that it was riding better. Prior to adjusting the pressure it really liked to wander over the road. Tracks a lot better now. :lmao:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
The bigger the tire on a TJ, the lower the pressure should be. A pressure appropriate for a 30x9.50 tire on a TJ would be way excessive for a 35x12.50 tire.

And the exact same size tire will have different correct pressures depending on the weight of the vehicle it is supporting. The same 35x12.50 Goodyear MT/R tire may require 35 psi when supporting a heavy military vehicle yet only require 25 psi when supporting the lighter Wrangler TJ.

Not many mechanics know that and still fewer tire store employees do.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check cold. When after riding (or if in the hot sun), the air will expand and give a high psi
Corrected pressure early this morning. Jeep has been sitting in my garage un-driven for the last 10 days. Tires were definitely cold. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts