Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my YJ with MT/Rs 2 months ago. Tire says max 80psi cold, jeep says 35psi and i have shoes from the 2004 rubicon and that jeep says 33psi. Now i wouldnt normally second guess myself but i let my wife (that could be the problem there) borrow the jeep and to be nice she ran by the service station to fill it up. One of the guys there needed a reason to talk to her so he obliged to check fluid levels and tire pressure.

This jeep is my mistress so i check her levels more than i check my wife's haha

but the guy proceded to fill my tires to the 80 max. WTF, am i wrong or is this guy bout to screw up my babys MT/Rs? So now im second guessing myself. Someone please set me straight.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Definitely let it back down between 32 and 35 making sure they are all the same. If you do drive on them you'll wear out the middle of the tire and they will always wear uneven for the rest of their lives and possiably balance strange. Jeeps just aren't heavy enough to have high psi in them which can cause the tread to round when its supposed to be flat on the tread so as long as you fix it quick you'll be fine.

·
Registered
813 Posts
This is a picture of what different thing can do to a tire after extended use with different problems that can be fixed or caused fairly easily

·
The Bad Guy
23,248 Posts
Google "tire chalk test".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im just sticking to the formula. My 265/75r16 MT/Rs on my 91 yj came out to 28psi with the formula. They are too damn expensive to be tearing up due to over inflation.

4700lbs for the jeep x 80max psi = 376000 (x)
3415lbs max load/tire x 4 tires= 13660 (y)
x/y=27.53psi.
Im cool with that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
MudWranglin said:
I'm fairly new to Jeep'n so excuse my stupidity... So when u say to 32 - 35 psi, does that apply to any size tire?
That's what all the guys I ride with use on the road and we range from 31's to 35 inch tires. That's what was in my 29 and 30 inch tires and they are all still knee deep in tread we just put them on different cars we have since they were all bfg a/t's. On 15 inch rims if that has any effect on the equation mentioned

1 - 9 of 9 Posts