Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2015 Sahara with Bridgestone tires that say psi should be 35. Now that the weather has been very cold out here in New York my psi has been telling me I need air in almost every tire. I stopped at a tire shop today and asked them to fill all the tires to 35 but when I got in my car it reads 42 on all 4. Is this normal or should I be concerned that they're over inflated? It's my first brand new JEEP and I just want to make sure I'm maintaining everything correctly.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You should get your own quality tire gauge and always check your tire pressures "cold", prior to driving anywhere. I always check mine first thing in the morning and prior to them sitting in the sun for any period of time. By the time you drive to a tire shop your tires have already gotten warmer and the reading will be higher. As long as you're at the pressure that you want cold (35 if that's what you prefer) the "hot" pressure doesn't matter.

·
Registered
619 Posts
They will go down when they are cold. However, I find that when I run mine at the recommended (door jamb) pressure, it's a bit too rough, so I try to keep them a few pounds lower (when taken cold) than recommended.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Never met a Dealer or shop yet that didn't over inflate tires. No matter what you say they see the # on the sidewall and inflate to that (idiots) the correct # is on your door jam sticker as you noted and it is in fact a cold tire inflation #. I use a Milton gauge (round)
Little more money but a good gauge.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I air up before driving (they say you can drive 1 mile before 'COLD' is no longer valid - i.e. to the gas station)

1. I fill up using a portable compressor to 37 (it auto stops at that point)
2. use my gauge with a bleed value and stop at 35.

This issue I had was that I have so many digital gauges and the compressor were all giving different readings. So I bought a few good gauges and they seem pretty accurate. My Michelin compressor was 2-3 PSI low.

Of the ones I bought I found the "Measurement Limited Accutire MS-5510B Racing Tire Gauge" to be the best to use. In retrospect the other digital gauges were bang on too, just the compressor was off. But I do like the decimal increments to the tenths, not so much for the Jeep, but the other car...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts