Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if any problems would I have if I went from my 17 inch factory wheels to a set of 18 inch factory wheel? Would there be any clearence problems if both sets had factory tires on them. They would be for an 07 Wrangler

·
Registered
343 Posts
Clearance will not be an issue with any factory wheel/tire combo.

However, keep in mind that if the overall tire size changes, your speedo will be off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This chart may help with a speedometer mod -
Jeep Speedometer Gears at Morris 4x4 Center
You do not change speedo gears in a JK. Adjustments are made through the computer.

If you're moving to another stock wheel/tire setup, a dealer can probably make the necessary change. Otherwise, you can use a programmer like the AEV Procal (or many others to choose from) to make the update:

American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).

·
Registered
615 Posts
The overall size of factory 17" and 18" tires is exactly the same. It won't change anything with speedometer or performance.

I don't recommend it though. My 2010 Sports previous owner swapped the factory steel 16" rims for 18" Sahara wheels. By the time I purchased it the tires were worn out. When I started pricing 18" tires, and saw the limited options available I started looking for 17" wheels. I found a set of take-off's with like new tires on them for a lot less than it was going to cost me to by new 18" tires.

When you have the same overall size tire on an 18" vs a 17" rim there is less rubber between you and the road. You get a smoother ride with the 17's, they cost less and you get a lot more options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts