Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if my 2.5L engine and Dana 35 transmission would be able to drive around some 33x12.50 tires. I wouldn't really use my jeep for highway driving but mostly off roading and driving across town.

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
42,800 Posts
There are different gear ratios available both stock and after market for Jeeps. The ratio will affect how it will drive on and off road. Most of the time when people post questions as to whether their rig can handle a certain sized tire, the response most often received is that you should try it and if it is too sluggish for you, just upgrade the gears. :cool:
I'd suggest you post your questions in the TJ forum area to get answers specific to your rig. :thumb:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thee is 3 ways to tell what gears are in your jeep.
1, On your rear diff. cover there is ( or was ) a tag that shows the gear size.
2, Jack up the rear, place the axle on jack stands, put the jeep in N or take it out of gear. Rotate the tire one time and count how many times the drive shaft spins.
3, Or while it's on jack stands, take the rear diff. cover off. The gear size should be stamped into the ring gear.

You could have 3.73--3.55--3.07

·
Registered
813 Posts
ljrubitm said:
Thee is 3 ways to tell what gears are in your jeep.
1, On your rear diff. cover there is ( or was ) a tag that shows the gear size.
2, Jack up the rear, place the axle on jack stands, put the jeep in N or take it out of gear. Rotate the tire one time and count how many times the drive shaft spins.
3, Or while it's on jack stands, take the rear diff. cover off. The gear size should be stamped into the ring gear.

You could have 3.73--3.55--3.07
With a 2.5 its either 3.73 auto or 4.11 manual

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks dextreme, that was super helpful and relieving because there is no way a could afford a regear and new tires at this point lol. :-!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts