Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Day All,
1st, let me start by recognizing that this is indeed a very loaded question.

I have a 2015 JKU Hard Rock. I purchased it used about a year ago. The past couple of weekends, I have installed the AEV 2.5" Lift with the Geometry Correction Brackets (photo below post lift install). By the way, whoever designed the upper mount on the Bilstein shocks that you have to insert an allen wrench while turning the nut should have their genitals removed. I have only taken it for a quick spin as I have to mount up the spare with the Alpine 3rd Brake Light/Backup Camera. All in all, I am pretty pleased after a quick spin.

I have a set of AEV Salta wheels waiting to have some new shoes mounted to them. I am looking for some feedback on tires. Not so much on the size, I am intending to go with either 35X12.50 or 315/70-17 or possibly evening just going to a 285/75-17

Most of my driving will be pavement, back and forth to work...with some occasional trails, I don't see any rock climbing in my future. I don't believe there is much available in MN. I may consider putting a set of 33s in Winter tires on the factory wheels for our usually snowy/icy Winters.

The 33s I have on are Duratracs and I HATE them. They are about 2/3rd worn and a NOISY, they were awful in the winter, but didn't want to replace them due to possibly up-sizing.

I am considering the NEW Toyo ATIII or the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, both of which are 3 peak rated, thinking they may be alright for year round use. My concern is that they are both E rated tires, which most tires in these sizes seem to be. EDIT - ADDED THE FOLLOWING: Since starting this thread, I did some more research on my own, comparing actual specs in the 3 sizes above. Also looking for any feedback on the Nitto Ridge Grappler - seem a bit on the heavy side.

I appreciate any real world feedback and suggestions. Thanks in advance for any replies - your time is appreciated.

-Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Had the TOYO AT II and loved them. Might suit you. I wanted more aggressive so I sold and got the R/T instead. The A/T II was great tire and III should be better. Plus with TOYO 400 miles love or return test drive.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Wildpeak AT3W is a great tire on road, smooth and quiet. I don't have any experience with it offroad or in snow.
After starting my thread, I started digging around to find actual tire specs (actual size/width & weight). The Falken Wildpeak tires are considerably heavier than the Toyo, which surprised me.
Example: 35X12.5
Toyo: 34.5 DIA, 12.5 W, 70 lbs
Falken: 34.8 DIA, 12.5 W, 75.4 lbs

It really is amazing how much difference in sizing alone for the same size tire that there is between manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have Cooper ST MAXX, 315/70-17's, D rated on 2 JKUWW's and a JK
They are pretty light @ 66 lbs.
The JK currently has 46K miles on the tires with more to go.
They are pretty quit, they ride and handle great, good in rain and pretty good in snow.
When I need to replace, I will use them again.

On the Duratracs, I agree, I wouldn't put them on a dump truck.

Here'a shot of 315 ST MAXX on AEV Salta's

·
Super Moderator
4,897 Posts
I would avoid an E rated tire, regardless of brand. C rated would be best, but D rated can be OK. E rated is just to stiff a sidewall for most Jeeps, resulting in a harsh ride.
I am a fan of the BFG KO2, which comes in a 315/70-17 that is C rated.
You can also get a General Grabber X3 35x12.5-17 in a C rating.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Funny, I was going to recommend the duratracs. I've had them in 315 and now 35. I had them in 285's on a 4runner. They are pretty quiet, last, and do well in the snow. I can't stand the BFG A/T's on my F150. Sounds like the Toyo AT III might be a better fit for you. The duratracs are very aggressive for an A/T, but much better road manners than a true M/T. If you want the ultimate street tire, the Michelin LTX MS/2's are great but they don't have the off-road look.

·
Super Moderator
22,468 Posts
I have run and still run both E and D and have run P, C, D and E and all have felt great. Just use proper psi. if you have an e or d rated at 40psi it is going to be stiff. run at 28psi and smooth as silk. I have run 35x12.5, 315/70 and 285/75 on AEV wheels and all work great.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I have run and still run both E and D and have run P, C, D and E and all have felt great. Just use proper psi. if you have an e or d rated at 40psi it is going to be stiff. run at 28psi and smooth as silk. I have run 35x12.5, 315/70 and 285/75 on AEV wheels and all work great.
I agreee. On my same JKU and suspensions I have run stock Sahara tires, D rated and E Rated tires. I have felt very little if any difference in ride comfort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts