Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 34.1 trail grapplers and they pull way too much to the left so I need new tires. Want to get 33.0 for better handeling on road and donot want wider then 11.5

what are the tire people recommend.

I like the Mickey Thompson Baja mtz the most. They are lighter weight at 58 pounds.

plus does anyone know if the new legend mtz tires the same tire? Just with bigger sidewall lugs and weight more.

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
What size tires do you have? 34.1 is meaningless. What do the tires have on the sidewall? It should be either yy/xxRww or ddXttRww. That will tell us not only what the tire size is but what size wheel it is on.

The only 33x11.5Rtt tires I find are for 20 inch wheels so that would be 33x11.5R20. If you are on 17 inch wheels, the LT285/70R17s are actually 32.8" tall (close to 33) and 11.22" wide.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size tires do you have? 34.1 is meaningless. What do the tires have on the sidewall? It should be either yy/xxRww or ddXttRww. That will tell us not only what the tire size is but what size wheel it is on.

The only 33x11.5Rtt tires I find are for 20 inch wheels so that would be 33x11.5R20. If you are on 17 inch wheels, the LT285/70R17s are actually 32.8" tall (close to 33) and 11.22" wide.
Yea I be more specific.
275/75/17 trail grapplers which are 34.1 x11.6 wide
wheels are saltas 5.2 bs 8.5 wide

going to stock 6.2 bs 7.5 wide wheels with 1.25 to wheels spacers

so I am looking at every tire that makes 33.0 tall on a 17 wheel.
The tires I like the most so far are the Mickey Thompson Baja mtz and they donot come in 33.0x10.0 or 11.0 so only choice there is the 33.0x11.5 wide which is 275/70/17.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You could look at BFG K02 LT285/70R17 32.8 in dia/ 11.5 wide (on 8.5 rim) will fit on a 7.5 rim. Not as aggressive and road handling is usually considered good. FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W are well regarded also but I havent used them. I've also seen Cooper STT, Toyo Open country and Goodyear Duratrac mentioned positively.

·
Registered
2016 JKU Sahara, Auto, Metal Cloak 2.5 lift, 35s, 4.56 gears, front/rear Truetracs
131 Posts
If you're willing to swap from a MT to an aggressive AT the Baja Legend Exp is a great tire. I have the Dick Cepek Trail Country Exp which is the same tire as the Mickey Thompson Baja Legend Exp. It has great highway manners and still handles very well offroad. It's not a true MT but it's a good compromise.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,173 Posts
I'm wondering who actually manufactures tires like MT, Dick Cepek, etc? I doubt the smaller brand speciality tire sellers are large enough to do their own manufacturing. So what companies actually make those tires and why would those small sellers have any better tires then the companies that actually manufacture them?

·
Registered
2016 JKU Sahara, Auto, Metal Cloak 2.5 lift, 35s, 4.56 gears, front/rear Truetracs
131 Posts
I'm wondering who actually manufactures tires like MT, Dick Cepek, etc? I doubt the smaller brand speciality tire sellers are large enough to do their own manufacturing. So what companies actually make those tires and why would those small sellers have any better tires then the companies that actually manufacture them?
Cooper manufactures Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, and Mastercraft. Pretty sure Cooper is owned by Goodyear now.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're willing to swap from a MT to an aggressive AT the Baja Legend Exp is a great tire. I have the Dick Cepek Trail Country Exp which is the same tire as the Mickey Thompson Baja Legend Exp. It has great highway manners and still handles very well offroad. It's not a true MT but it's a good compromise.
That’s prob the hardest thing for me is I have always had mud tires and I donot know if I could go terrain. I have been reading about the different Mickey Thompson tires and still am trying to find out what the diff in the legend mtz and the mtz3.

for the exp or at they look decent/good/ok to me but not sure I can get my mind around not having mt. I know they will handle better on road to. Its tuff. Those also look like the coopers people like.
So far l leaning Mickey Thompson something.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could look at BFG K02 LT285/70R17 32.8 in dia/ 11.5 wide (on 8.5 rim) will fit on a 7.5 rim. Not as aggressive and road handling is usually considered good. FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W are well regarded also but I havent used them. I've also seen Cooper STT, Toyo Open country and Goodyear Duratrac mentioned positively.
A friend has the falkens I think muds and he like them/on a Toyota pickup though. Not sure if allowed to say Toyota here shhh.
So I have looked at those.
One of the things that’s good about the falkens and even Toyo or Yokos is they have sizes that are only 11.3 11.1 11.0 wide and I like that.
Not sure if I let size choose for me.
I need to find out tread width of each tire because that’s the part that touches the road.
Pizza cutters are 33.0x10.0 so not looking for 10.0 but I think 11.0 would be better then 11.5 and the falkens have that size.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the record these are the tires I have had
Bfg km1 5k miles they were good pizza cutters and drove like a car handeling.
Bfg km2 22k couldn’t go longer cupped a lot and we’re not good on road excellent on the rocks though
Trail grapplers 30k still have about half thread left but these tires man they pull big to,e to the left. It’s not the alignment and taking 2 psi out front right doesn’t do just a little. Time to get new tires this summer.

31.5 km1 becaus bfg run about .5 less then they say they do.
32.5 km2
34.1 trail grapplers
33.0 ?

so that’s my experience and based on that Mickey Thompson tires just have that look sayin you want me. I do want a mean looking tire but trying to find one that is also classic looking.

I like this pic a lot I would get bigger size but I like the proportions overall. Silver jeep is

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am loving my MT Baja boss ATs so far!
View attachment 4540984
Side question how do others peoples keeps look more rugged/dirty/? And soft in the color. Prob the solid colors do and my silver jeep is more metallic which makes it not look rugged and more pinpoint like a dress shirt. Must be the solid color Jeep’s compared to the metallic. I can’t figure why. Even when you look at the pic I have on the post before you can see that solid color jeep looks more rugged more whatever word I can’t think of and my silver jeep looks more pinpoint. I want it to look more like others people do.

for the tires yea those look sweet I have always liked mud tires more for looks so it’s tuff for me to not get mud.

I see in pic you have the mc springs and falcons that’s what I have but going to 2.0 mopars. Question is what setting do you have falcons on. My falcons are the 2.1 series so they are set can’t switch.

I am going to get reservoir falcons next. That’s the next thing to figure out should I get adjustable or fixed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cooper manufactures Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, and Mastercraft. Pretty sure Cooper is owned by Goodyear now.
When you guys talk about these kind of things I thought of a video I was watching about the new electric or 392 jeep which is better and those guys were saying something about Germany owning jeep something and made the older platforms work and now some other Europe Italy? Company owns jeep and is going to mess it up and we’ll be seeing front wheel drive wranglers soon and screw wranglers up/at least have some weird jeep car version options instead of just wrangler old school versions with new tech in them.

that they would have no solid axles anymore that this new ownership is going to mess it up? You guys know anything about that.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone have experience with Mickey Thompson Baja mtz or legend mt. Do they drive straight?

the nitro trail grapplerspull left big time. Do all mud tires pull left/right like that?

what mud tires drive straight the best.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mickey Thompson
Boss mt 33.0x11.5 e 9.0 tw 64p
Legend mt 33.0x11.5 e 9.0 tw 62p
Mtz3 33.0x11.5 e 9.0 tw 62p
Boss at 33.0x11.5 9.3 tw 63p
Ext 32.5x10.7 e 8.8 tw 55p / 33.1x11.5 e 9.1 tw 57p

ko2 33.0x10.5 d tw? 55p

falken mt 32.8x11.0 c tw? 61p
Falken at 33.1x10.0 e tw? 52p

toyo mt 33.3x10.0 e tw? 61 p / 33.0x11.5 e tw? 64p

yoko mt 32.9x11.6 e 9.4 tw 58p

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So based on the spec sizes.
Ko2 has that nice only 10.5 wide and there 34x10.5 tire is really 33.0 because bfg run small by .5
Boss mt looks good but weights more
I like the 9.0 thread width of Mickey Thompson tires
Falkens only mt tires with only 11.0 wide but if same 9.0 thread width then same diff as Mickey tires

are the boss mt more agressive then the legends/mtz tires. Meaning so they pull left right more?

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon, 3.5” Metalcloak, Falcon 3.3s, Ultimate 44 front, Teraflex 60 rear, 1350 Adam’s
307 Posts
Side question how do others peoples keeps look more rugged/dirty/? And soft in the color. Prob the solid colors do and my silver jeep is more metallic which makes it not look rugged and more pinpoint like a dress shirt. Must be the solid color Jeep’s compared to the metallic. I can’t figure why. Even when you look at the pic I have on the post before you can see that solid color jeep looks more rugged more whatever word I can’t think of and my silver jeep looks more pinpoint. I want it to look more like others people do.

for the tires yea those look sweet I have always liked mud tires more for looks so it’s tuff for me to not get mud.

I see in pic you have the mc springs and falcons that’s what I have but going to 2.0 mopars. Question is what setting do you have falcons on. My falcons are the 2.1 series so they are set can’t switch.

I am going to get reservoir falcons next. That’s the next thing to figure out should I get adjustable or fixed.
I think color does definitely make a difference personally. Also tires, lift and fenders make a big difference too.

I have always liked mud tires too but have a bunch of mud tires, ATs, and hybrids. This MT is a new hybrid and is great, wonderful road performance and quiet. Doesn’t lack off-road, wide void for an at in the middle to grip in 90% of situations and larger wide spacer mud type lugs on the edge for mud and deep snow. They are triple peak rated too and come with 50k trad warranty in LTsizes, 55kfor smaller. To me it is the best of both worlds. They still look aggressive too!

for the street I usually run my falcons on 2.4 or 2.5. But I always change them based on payload or on what I am doing. Love having the adjustability!! It is a must for me!

·
Registered
131 Posts
When you guys talk about these kind of things I thought of a video I was watching about the new electric or 392 jeep which is better and those guys were saying something about Germany owning jeep something and made the older platforms work and now some other Europe Italy? Company owns jeep and is going to mess it up and we’ll be seeing front wheel drive wranglers soon and screw wranglers up/at least have some weird jeep car version options instead of just wrangler old school versions with new tech in them.

that they would have no solid axles anymore that this new ownership is going to mess it up? You guys know anything about that.
The new company is called Stellantis and was formed out of a merger between FCA and Puegeot. The solid axle design is a major selling point for Wranglers so we can only hope they don’t screw it up. I’m all for innovation but if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think color does definitely make a difference personally. Also tires, lift and fenders make a big difference too.

I have always liked mud tires too but have a bunch of mud tires, ATs, and hybrids. This MT is a new hybrid and is great, wonderful road performance and quiet. Doesn’t lack off-road, wide void for an at in the middle to grip in 90% of situations and larger wide spacer mud type lugs on the edge for mud and deep snow. They are triple peak rated too and come with 50k trad warranty in LTsizes, 55kfor smaller. To me it is the best of both worlds. They still look aggressive too!

for the street I usually run my falcons on 2.4 or 2.5. But I always change them based on payload or on what I am doing. Love having the adjustability!! It is a must for me!
For yrs I thought getting adjustable recently thought I liked having the option on the nexus adjustable even though I ended up on the middle setting which is what the non adjustable one is at anyways.

but for the shocks people use diff for the 2.? For diff things like you said so there’s more to it then there is for stabilizer. You got me leaning towards adjustable again on that.

for tires yea love the look of mud even with newer at tires looking more mean then 20 yrs ago.

one thing I forgot to post is I donot drive jeep in winter bwing up here in the north so I donot need anything for snow ice stuff. Just wet and dry traction in terms of that.

warranty doesn’t matter to me just want to make it look mean and classic at same time.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

What size Mickey Thompson you got and what psi.

I use 28 psi on 34.1 trail grapplers

1 - 20 of 141 Posts