Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last two times I've gone to my dealership to have an oil change and rotation on my 2018 JLU Sport, they've told me "we don't need to do the rotation because your two best tires (best treads) are already in the front."

Is this a thing?

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
So the last two times I've gone to my dealership to have an oil change and rotation on my 2018 JLU Sport, they've told me "we don't need to do the rotation because your two best tires (best treads) are already in the front."

Is this a thing?
On an '18 Jeep? Hmmm.... I suppose if you drive a lot and they haven't been rotated and they wore unevenly or just wore due to mileage.
Towards the end of a set of tires that have not been rotated regularly it is possible to have two(2) better than the other two.

or

The dealer is just lazy and/or stupid (not unheard of)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They've been good over the years, so I tend to trust them. A little over 12,000 miles on the Jeep/tires so far. Haven't rotated them yet, just seems weird not to!

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
They've been good over the years, so I tend to trust them. A little over 12,000 miles on the Jeep/tires so far. Haven't rotated them yet, just seems weird not to!
12k and not rotated (yet) it's possible they are already roasted but....If they are wearing evenly (not cupped etc) I'd still rotate them to even them out.
I guess it goes w/o saying the spare is brand new?

* I am a fan of a 5 tire rotation every 3-5k miles religiously..... Bigger the tire - the more critical.

* IF the situation ever did arrise you want the best two on the front. Handling steering braking etc is way more important than traction from a safety perspective but anyway....

·
Registered
184 Posts

Is this a thing?
The dealer statement implies of course that there is a measurable or noticeable difference between the front and rears. Seems like a justifiable reason to rotate them. Always thought the rotation was to better assure the tires rotated evenly, not just to have the best on the front.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Having the two “best” tires on the front might be worthy if you are driving a front-wheel drive only vehicle. Last time I checked my 2018 JLUR is rear-wheel drive unless I actually put it in four wheel drive. I can also make it a front wheel drive vehicle if I disconnect the rear driveline, but I wouldn’t want to drive too far that way! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think that is bullshit! They were just too busy to comply. Regardless of wear they should be rotated every 3 to 5 K. Really every oil change. I have a hard time believing that at 12 K the fronts looked better. If this was the case there is something bad going on in the back. The dealer is F'ing with you. Find another dealer.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Lol well thats the problem isnt it. The back are worn more because it is rear wheel drive and will continue to wear more that way untill they are rotated. Our Sahara Factory tires did not wear well over the winter. Went to perform the rotation and while the fronts looked like new the rear were worn past 1/2 tread (spinning in the snow to get traction). New tires going on next week..

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
Most OEM tires are crap (most not all) the Revos that came on my Sport were mediocre by 20K miles. That's not many miles and they were kept rotated.

I look at most OE tires as "they had to put something on" so it would roll.

The BFG KO2's are an exception. Great tire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
12k and not rotated (yet) it's possible they are already roasted but....If they are wearing evenly (not cupped etc) I'd still rotate them to even them out.
I guess it goes w/o saying the spare is brand new?

* I am a fan of a 5 tire rotation every 3-5k miles religiously..... Bigger the tire - the more critical.

* IF the situation ever did arrise you want the best two on the front. Handling steering braking etc is way more important than traction from a safety perspective but anyway....
I agree, I had a truck that I asked to rotate the tire after about 15k, they told me the same thing, that the best 2 tires where up front, since I was paying for the rotation (company vehicle) I believe them. I still had the rote them to keep the tread flat. I am also a fan of the 5 tire rotation on my Jeep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts