Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 315/70r17 duratracs that were mounted back in the spring and my guy used balance beads instead of weights due to the excessive amount of weight it called for. At the time I had never heard of balance beads but thought whatever...I trust him. Ever since I've been running these tires they have been great. handle really well, seam to balance themselves perfectly, no vibrations, no issues whatsoever.

I really want to extend the life of the tires so had plans to rotate them every oil change which I do every 5k miles. The first 5k miles came and I rotated them (5 tire rotation) and all is well. Nothing felt different, same smooth ride. Just recently I decided to jump the gun on oil change and rotation because the weather was still nice and wanted to get it done before the cold and snow came so I did it at 3k miles instead of 5. Now I have a constant slight pull to the right and a bit of vibration when I get up to 65+ mph.

Is there any way rotating the tires early could cause this? I have re-torqued after 300 miles and all my lugs are torqued to spec. None of the tires have any obvious wear issues. I was thinking that possibly the balance beads in the spare (that is now on my passenger side rear) have clumped up from moisture?

It's really not a bad ride but it's different enough that I notice it. Should I just live with it for now until I rotate again and see what happens? I haven't owned a vehicle with tires this large before so maybe it's just something that happens to everybody with large tires and deep tread? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Also, I figured tires just need an adjustment period once changing positions on a vehicle but I've gone over 1,000 miles now with no improvement ...still pulls to the right and more vibration that was never there before.

·
Registered
293 Posts
unlikely it is due to rotation. Have you checked pressures? usually a pull would be low pressure tire or suspension problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would verify pressure first but if you still have the issue I would have them rebalanced. I have found an out of balance tire is more noticeable on the front than the rear but its more of a vibration than a pull that occurs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unlikely it is due to rotation. Have you checked pressures? usually a pull would be low pressure tire or suspension problem.
I had checked pressure a few weeks before rotation but not since...I'll try that. Thanks for the tip!

I would verify pressure first but if you still have the issue I would have them rebalanced. I have found an out of balance tire is more noticeable on the front than the rear.
This will be the first time for 1 of the 5 to make it to the front...which turns out was the spare to start with. I know I was charged for balance beads in all 5 tires but maybe I'll pull that one off and roll it around a little to see if I hear them in there. Thanks bud!

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Also, I figured tires just need an adjustment period once changing positions on a vehicle but I've gone over 1,000 miles now with no improvement ...still pulls to the right and more vibration that was never there before.
When I buy new tires, I specify the MAX amount of weights that it should take to balance a tire. The larger the tire, the more weight it might take. If a tire takes too much weight to balance, the tire tech is supposed to rotate the tire 90 degrees on the rim to match the rim's heavy spot opposite the tires heavy spot. If they don't try this, they may have 10 ounces on the outside and 15 ounces on the inside. I will not purchase a tire that uses that much weight. If they told you they could not balance the tires when they were new and now you are experiencing a pulling and bounce problem, I would suspect a bad tire from the factory that is now separating worse than it was at first.

I have had tires that went bad and started separating that both pulled badly and bounced. If you jack up the tire and slowly rotate it by hand watching for an obvious wobble, you should be able to see the culprit. Then the battle will be trying to get the tire store to warranty the tire.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Good info from ^^. As also mentioned check the pressure first, inspect the tires for some kind of defect especially the spare that wasn't in use. If they're all looking good re-balance the tires, properly. I'd guess the problem is with the spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts