Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if you rotate all five tires, or just the four on the ground. My only thought here is, when I buy new tires I may want to go with a different tire, thus all my tires would match. I guess there is no way to tell how I will like my new Willys tires and how they will wear, time will tell.

trainman

·
Super Moderator
6,748 Posts
I think most people do a 5 tire rotation. That keeps all 5 tires in play, and actually means your set of tires will last longer. If you go through tires fast, and you plan on replacing the tires with more of the same (same size, same brand) you could do just a 4 tire rotation. But I really don't see an advantage to it. Besides, a 5 tire rotation is easier to do at home with a single jack. Pull the spare, jack up the right rear and replace that tire with the spare. Continue swapping the tire one at a time as you work your way to all 4 corners of the Jeep. When you are done with all 4 corners, the tire you have left goes back on the spare tire rack.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do all 5. I'm not sure why so many people only do 4. You're getting extra tire life!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
This is my first Jeep, so it's also the first vehicle I've had where the spare matches the road tires. I see no reason not to do the 5 tire rotation. Even if you keep the same tires at your next tire change, rubber degrades, so the spare will need replaced eventually anyway.

And as mentioned, there's one less step in at home tire rotations doing a 5 tire rotation vs 4 tire rotation, and you should get a little more life out of all the tires doing a 5 tire rotation.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I don't rotate. The times that I did follow the 3-5K rotation schedule the tires always ended up wearing funny or having balance issues. I've found if I leave them be and keep the vehicle in proper alignment the tires have the least issues. I'm sure many disagree with me but the tires have lasted and I'm happy.

Reactions: Lakeman1

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm doing a five-tire rotation on my Willys because I plan to switch up to 33s when my stock 32s wear out. But then I'll probably go with a four-tire rotation, assuming I'm happy with the 33s. That way I'll only have to replace four tires in the future.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
My tires rotate while I'm driving down the road on their own. The spare however, does not.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I don't rotate. The times that I did follow the 3-5K rotation schedule the tires always ended up wearing funny or having balance issues. I've found if I leave them be and keep the vehicle in proper alignment the tires have the least issues. I'm sure many disagree with me but the tires have lasted and I'm happy.
This is what I do. Also the wheels don't get beat up (tire store doing it) or lugs whoever does it. Keep the air pressure correct and keep it in alignment. I never have rotated tires on anything.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I've always done the 5 tire rotation.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My recommendation if you are going to a shop is to print out a couple of these, I leave one on the seat for them when they do the rotation so they follow a consistent pattern. I laminated mine.

·
Super Moderator
16,382 Posts
My recommendation if you are going to a shop is to print out a couple of these, I leave one on the seat for them when they do the rotation so they follow a consistent pattern. I laminated mine.
Exaclty! I have this exact illustration printed and laminated in both mine and my daughters Jeeps. I do many of my own rotations, but she takes hers to discount tire. They made a note on her account to ask for the tire rotation diagram so they do it right.

Reactions: Y-Guy

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have to agree here. 15k miles on my Duratracs and they are wearing perfectly evenly. I cannot imagine any benefit from rotating at this point.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
There is no right or wrong in this regard, do what you feel is best for your situation, some people prefer to do all 5, some prefer to do 4, if you do all 5, you'll get a little extra more miles out of the entire set, i was doing all 5 because on my last set i had all 5 matching, i bought a new set of 4 tires, couple of weeks ago, and left the best of my old tires as a spare, so now i'll do only 4 tire rotation, and frankly, saving an extra $300 wasn't that bad :), the non-matching spare doesn't bother me, i change tires every 40 k miles it seems, lol, so anything i can save here or there matters more to me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have to agree here. 15k miles on my Duratracs and they are wearing perfectly evenly. I cannot imagine any benefit from rotating at this point.
I have owned several FWD, RWD and 4WD vehicles. It seems to me that tire rotation is more important on FWD where the front tires are doing the turning and supplying the power. On RWD and 4WD it seems with the turning and power wheels splitting duty that they wear more evenly.

I just got my Jeep so not sure what I will do. Am thinking about 5 tire rotation so that I can replace all my tires at the same time and keep the spare matching the rest of my tires. Also, eventually a tire will need replaced due to rot whether you use it or not.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
This is what I do. Also the wheels don't get beat up (tire store doing it) or lugs whoever does it. Keep the air pressure correct and keep it in alignment. I never have rotated tires on anything.

I have 8K on my current set of Pro Comp Xtreme MT. They still have some of the little rubber nub things on them. I see no wear yet. On my truck and other jeep the tires tend to last 5 years with no rotations. I've run Goodyears, Pirelli, Kumho, Yokohama (last tire I rotated and learned my lesson), General, and Mastercraft in the last few years.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Seems silly to do 4. It's a little more work if you're doing it yourself, but you're probably getting a good chunk of extra life out of the tires. When I bought my 13, the previous owner had never rotated in the spare. There was enough of a difference between it and the tires on it, that I didn't want them mismatched, so I just left the spare on the back. When I got around to getting new tires, I now have a perfect KM2 that I can do nothing with, as it doesn't come close to matching the new tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts