Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain Jeeper
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping some of you could help me out with some tire selection advice. I've had my 4-door 2012 JKU Rubi for about a week now and I'm going to add AEV's premium lift with 35's.

This vehicle is a daily driver and will also be used for trail riding here in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. I was hoping you guys could recommend a tire that would strike a good balance between road use (quieter the better) and rocky trail use (strong durable sidewalls a must).

I had the Goodyear MTR's on my last Jeep (2005 JK 2 Dr). They were fairly quite but when the roads got wet or snowy (not even talking about ice) it would slide all over the place. So I'm looking for a tire that handles all road conditions and rocky trails that also get some snow.

I know I'm asking a lot of a single tire but wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions on the best "overall" tire for the uses I've described. Thanks in advance!

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,401 Posts
I would say the Falken Wild Peaks. They are a aggresive AT tire that work well in all conditions both on and off road! They are quite as well.

We have free shipping on them so let us know if we can help!
-Jason

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Cooper STT or Mickey Thomson MTZ.. There are a few other MT's you can look at that are very good choices but when it comes to all around tire those are tops. I don't talk about it much but the Nokian Vativia MT is a very nice tire as well with excellent on road behavior and offroad performance. If you want' to step down to a Agressive AT then look at the gy duratracs or Cooper ST

·
Rocky Mountain Jeeper
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size rims are you running?.....
Oh I'm sorry, I totally forgot to mention the wheels. I'm going with the AEV 17" Argent beadlocks with the silver ring.

BTW, I didn't mention budget either. I'm not really concerned about pricing as I've always believed in paying a little more for a quality product rather than trying to save a few bucks on an inferior product. Over the years I've found that you always end up ahead of game in the long-run when you spend a little more upfront for a quality product.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
To add to what I said before, I would lean twoards a tire that has at least a 3 ply side wall as you want that durability in the rocks.

·
Rocky Mountain Jeeper
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who's posted feedback so far, please keep the suggestions coming. I'm still researching the tires that have been posted so far.

Also, the shop that I'm having the installation done at is recommending THIS SPECIFIC TOYO TIRE based on my use for the Jeep. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this tire? Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The Toyo is tough as nails, balances easily and is pretty quiet for what it is. The bad part is it is the heaviest tire you can find, something like 84 lbs in the 35/12.50-17 size. They ate the weak factory ball joints in my last JK ain 5,000 miles. Pretty rough riding too because of the unsprung weight.

·
Rocky Mountain Jeeper
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have the same set up on my 08 aev 3.5 lift and aev rims got 35 in bfg's love them very little noise check out my pic
Exactly which BFG's are you running and do they have durable sidewalls suitable for rocky terrain?

·
Registered
141 Posts
GY DuraTrac and BFG All Terrain KO's are two tires that are big on here. I've had both am not quite sure which I like better. The DuraTrac looks better hands down but the BFG probably outperformed the GY's by a hair when wet.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My suggestion is that you look at all the data you can find for all the tires you are considering and then pick the one you think looks the coolest. There is no perfect tire and you'll be giving up something to gain something else with all of them. 90% of the time you won't know the difference between one tire and another, so just get what you think looks best.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
GY duratrac and BFG AT are both 2 ply sidewalls.. The duratrac will do better offroad a little but in turn the BFG AT has a steerling repuation for lasting forever as far as tread wear goes. If it's me the GY is a no brainer whether it be there Duratrac, Authority, or MTR-K.. However alot of people do run the BFG MT and are very happy so yeah, It's all about give and take with tires.. no perfect tire out there. Maybe the Cooper STT is as close as your gonna come to perfect as it is good in everything but not bad or great in anything.. On road or off

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you really want the best off road and on road performance (and you have the storage space) keep your current tires & wheels AND get the new set. For DD use and light off roading keep them on, swap them out for the hard core stuff.

Ooh-rah!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts