Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling a little down after my hinges and rear fenders already look like garbage after 3 months with my new jeep. To top it off the tire shop managed to damage 3 of my rubicon rims when mounting my new tires. They told me to bring it in tomorrow to look at the damage. I don't even want to deal with this aghhh.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
Nasty...Very expensive mistake. Because of COVID, will replacement Rims even be available....

Reactions: justinrusso

·
Registered
467 Posts
F^%$&! idiots!

This is as bad as all those lazy mechanics with their overpowered air wrenches, who liked to BLAST lug nuts on with 300 foot-lbs of torque, often stripping and damaging them in the process, apparently just because they can.

You know, I am not a vehicle mechanic, but even I know that air wrenches do not and should not have just one single setting: MAX!

(If you are guessing that I have fallen victim to this sloppy and lazy practice in the past, more than once, you would be guessing correctly.)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes stone damage from ko2s slinging them back. 2 weeks at the cottage down gravel roads destroyed my fenders and hinges. One reason why I swapped to mickey thompson baja boss AT.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm really sorry to see that you suffered that kind of stone damage, Justin, and so early in the life of your Jeep! That has to be very disheartening.

Did you have the splash guards in place with that damage occurred, or did you install them afterward?

This does bring up a broader matter that I've been wondering about for some time, that maybe some of you can answer. Does this kind of stone damage tend to occur due to running wider than stock (wider in width, not in diameter) tires, flinging out stones past the outer edges of the fenders? Or does it maybe have more to do with the particular characteristics of the tires, and how they grab and then release small stones and rocks, and not as much with how wide they are?

I would do almost anything to avoid that kind of rock damage from the get-go.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just by first look at my Rubicon I could tell that everything behind the front tires is in harm's way. The rock rails do nothing to prevent this. I installed the Mopar running boards for that reason as well as an aid for my wife getting in and out.

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
Maybe mudflaps would help.

Reactions: Chugiakguy

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
Hindsight is always 20/20. Gravel roads have damaged more than one vehicle. The smaller stones get stuck in the tread of almost any tire and then when on pavement or if going too fast on the gravel, they get flung out and damage paint.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Damage to the door hinges and the rear fenders by flying rock and debris is a well known issue on non-Saharas. Those areas are highly exposed, especially on Rubicons and Willys with their knobby tires.

FYI - the Mopar splash guards don’t fit JLs with factory rock rails.

Alternative solutions:
  1. A pair of Sahara side steps —used ones go for $150 on CL or $200 on eBay
  2. A pair of Mopar rock rails with built-in side steps —for about $900
  3. A set of aftermarket splash guards, like those from WeatherTech, Husky, etc. ~$100 for a set of 4

Mopar rock rails with built-in side steps
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Sahara side steps
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

WeatherTech splash guards for Rubicon
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Husky splash guards, universal fit
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

The rock rails and side steps mount exactly the same way, and are super easy to swap; they only have a few screws going through the pinch seams. You should be able to resell your Rubicon rock rails relatively easily.

The WeatherTech splash guards replace the factory plastic rivets with metal screws, so you don’t need a riveter. But you might need to remove the wheels for proper installation.

That wheel damage borders on incompetence. Hope you get it resolved.

Good luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i have weather tech mud flaps now. I've had time to not care about my flares I'm more upset about my rims being damaged by the tire shop. At least I did the damage to the flares.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes stone damage from ko2s slinging them back. 2 weeks at the cottage down gravel roads destroyed my fenders and hinges. One reason why I swapped to mickey thompson baja boss AT.

How are the MT Baja Boss's with stones? That is the tire I am leaning towards at the moment. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
The Nitto ridge grapplers, pickup very few to no stones.

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
The narrower the grooves in the tires, the more likely they are to pick up gravel. I remember a trip to the Summit BSA reservation in WV in 2016. I drove my 2015 Sahara that had Bridgestone A/T tires. I never saw so many small pieces of gravel in a tire. Later, six months after returning to S. Georgia I finally took the time to remove the rest of the gravel. The Jeep had not been on a gravel road after leaving the Summit. The MTs that came stock on my '17 Chief were bad about pickup up acorns from the drive but not gravel from the few spots of gravel around here.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I installed a cheap set of splash guards on my new Wrangler. They were $10 at Autozone.. I removed the two plastic clips and slid them behind the inner fender. I tried to find a good height so they would protect the steps and the body, but not too low so as to not get broken off or look like some dorky old man owned it.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How are the MT Baja Boss's with stones? That is the tire I am leaning towards at the moment. Thanks
Much much much better than the KO2s. They are not perfect but they seem shoot the rocks under the jeep Instead of back. They still grab some larger stones but seem to clear them out after a little so you aren't tap dancing on roads all the time. My k02s were tap shoes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts