Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive got 32x11.5 bc Goodrich mt tires, I love them, except for on light ice or a little bit of snow. really they need deep snow to be good. a friend suggested taking them in to get siped. ive heard it done on regular all season or 3 season tires but not on mud terrains. as its getting closer to the great white winter ive been considering having it done. anybody know what it might do for traction, road noise, or wear? would it be worth it?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
I have siped two sets of BFG MTs and it's definitely a big help without drawbacks. The siping significantly (!) improves traction on slick/icy surfaces and the slits (sipes) can actually help the tire to run cooler and wear longer. It cost me $10 per tire the first time I had them siped but it was $15 the next time. Caution that some tire shops have no idea what siping is and it may not be even easy to find a shop that can do it. Most shops I asked gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look and asked why I would want to "ruin" my tires by slicing them. :p

Edit: X2 on IslandTJ's comment below to have just the two center blocks of the four total tread blocks siped. Leave the outer tread blocks unsiped for strength. :)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I'm a fan of tire siping due to the points JB made above. For me, I just have the center lugs siped and not the outer - to avoid outer lug chunking.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
see everybody says mud terrains do bad on wet pavement ive never noticed it bad in the rain at all, just on ice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad to hear some of you have had very good experience with siping.

I have seen the sections of sample tires that are siped at Discount Tire. The cuts are exceptionally clean but I always wondered if there was really any benefit to having it done? I was always worried about more noise or funny wear? Actually I thought it was a sales tool for additional profit?

My 20K mile old Dueler A/T 695s are not as good in the ice as I like so I might try siping this year before the snow hits? So the consensus is to only do the center treads and leave the shoulders alone? Do you have it done twice so there is a diamond pattern or just once?

Siping (rubber) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
63 Posts
:Thanx::Thanx::Thanx:I just put new BFG Mudterrains on mine and was wondering this exact same thing. I am definitely leaning towards having it done but would like to know if this increases road noise at all? Seems like it is worth the money for a little more peace of mind in the rain...and if increases tire life, suhweet! :thumb:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
I never noticed any difference or increase in road noise at all after I siped my BFG MT tires.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have been running the Interco TrXus MT tire - one with more sipes than any Mud Terrain tire available for the past 9 years.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Glad to hear some of you have had very good experience with siping.

I have seen the sections of sample tires that are siped at Discount Tire. The cuts are exceptionally clean but I always wondered if there was really any benefit to having it done? I was always worried about more noise or funny wear? Actually I thought it was a sales tool for additional profit?

My 20K mile old Dueler A/T 695s are not as good in the ice as I like so I might try siping this year before the snow hits? So the consensus is to only do the center treads and leave the shoulders alone? Do you have it done twice so there is a diamond pattern or just once?

Siping (rubber) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We did it for years on the old MT/R's and it really helps a bunch in all conditions (no mud experience though). Like was stated, only do the center rows of lugs or they will chunk.

No idea on the funny wear or noise, didn't notice either one but that doesn't mean much.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
I doubt that you'd notice any difference in noise. I suspect, if anything, they might get quieter...relatively speaking, of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts