Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
33" tires with no adjustment to gears or anything. When I bought my TJ I drove it home on the hwy with a buddy in another car. He was next to me going 65. My speedometer said 60. What does this mean, exactly? Should I adjust it? Does it mean the total miles on the odometer is inaccurate. Am I miscalculating gas milage using odometer readings?

Thanks!

RH

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use my GPS for MPH. Calculating MPG you are not doing very often. I have 33" with 3.5 lift and my are 16mpg using GPS.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Yes, your odo is off, and your calculations for MPG's as well...

·
Registered
108 Posts
benny127 said:
I use my GPS for MPH. Calculating MPG you are not doing very often. I have 33" with 3.5 lift and my are 16mpg using GPS.
I use my GPS for both as well. With a 4.0 and 6 speed stick I get around 15 mpg.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Great thread. I hope to learn more because this rig I just bought has 325/60/18s, and the gas mileage sucks. Given mixed highway and around town, I got 200 miles before the gas warning came on. If this is accurate, given an 18.5 gallon tank.....that equates to 10.81 miles per gallon!!

In a perfect world, the estimated 15-19 mpg would equal 277-351.

Given the stock size tires were 255s and these are 325s, I am not so happy with the future outlook of visits to the pump.

To add to the original posters topic, can you also include your total miles per tank with your set up? This may help all angles of the thread.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you want it to be accurate again, the proper size speedo gear should be around $40 and literally takes less than five minutes to install. A monkey could do it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My odometer said I got 225 miles to the last tank. It was about 13.5 MPG. Hopefully that is inaccurate.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yep, dropped a new speedo gear in this morning. Very easy.
I need to do this to my jeep but I don't know what gear to get or how to do the install. Anybody have info on those 2 things?

Edit: I just realized that this is in the TJ forums and I have a JK .. I would imagine it would be close to the same info though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts