Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of a tire could I put on my 1997 Wrangler 4.0 with 3.73 rear without having to change anything and still not hurt anything? I have a two inch lift kit on it and 17 inch rims

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have 33s with 3.73s and I do just fine on trail and on road i baby my jeep on road anyway so being slow from take off isn't a problem for me. Also I can do 85 down the freeway without an issue

·
Registered
805 Posts
I guess I am the exception here I'm on 33's for 2 years w/3.73 w/5 speed manual and it sucks. Lacks power on the road and 5th gear is useless unless going down hill with the wind... I am suffering thru it and will be regearing for 35's come fall.

·
Registered
368 Posts
31's were great 33's kinda suck going down the road and crawling in 4lo with a manual transmission. Personal preference though.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Why not regear for your 33's? I believe there's a lot more than regearing to run 35's, but it makes sense if you're heading toward 35's anyway.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Because I knew it was temp and I have a d35... No use in regearing that when I knew it was going to be tossed any way. It would have been a waste to regear 2 times at least to me.

Why not regear for your 33's? I believe there's a lot more than regearing to run 35's, but it makes sense if you're heading toward 35's anyway.

·
Registered
368 Posts
And I'm waiting until I have the money together for lockers and chromoly axles before re gearing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have 373s on an 03 tj with 32 in tires and really have no issues can use 5th gear on mild hills and flat land and can cruse 80 or so on the highway.it also does great off road but i dont really beat my jeep.

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am running 31" Tires with 3.73 it originaly had 3.07's the 3.73's are great with 31's I don't think I would go over 32's with the 3.73 ratio to maintain all around driveability.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts