Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will eventually be getting some more aggressive tires, and just curious on approx what size tire should i start to get concerned as far as being a spare. Meaning, what weight can the stock spare holder uphold? Without having to go to an aftermarket spare tire holder. Thanks in advance and i hope my question made sense....lol...~JC

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think that 35’s is about as large as you’d want to put on the stock carrier. Some people have had bad luck with that size and have had some of the spot welds start to break after a couple of months off roading. The trick is to install it correctly. What I mean by that is you need to have the rubber tire snubbers/bump stops that are on the tailgate snug against the tire when closed. Depending on what brand tire you get in 35’s you may have to address some issues with the stock bumper and or third brake light.
:)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D YUP, 1222 tells it like it is--

I will eventually be getting some more aggressive tires, and just curious on approx what size tire should i start to get concerned as far as being a spare. Meaning, what weight can the stock spare holder uphold? Without having to go to an aftermarket spare tire holder. Thanks in advance and i hope my question made sense....lol...~JC
Daystar makes the ADJUSTABLE bumpstops and you need them to comtrol vibration-

If you goto a larger 33/34./35, you'll need a support on the bottom of the tire to stop DOWNFORCE, on bumps/curbs/rocks/volkswagens-etc-

Sometimes the bigger 35s will just snuggle on the stock bumper--it's all relative !!

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts