Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to go to 33's on my 04 TJ sahara:D. I saw in a post earlier that someone recommended a 4.10-4.88 depending on transmission and offroad application, but i can't find it:banghead:. I have the stock 4.0, auto trans, and transfer case. Should I stay more on the 4.10 side or lean more towards the 4.88:confused:? I was considering 4.26 but saw Randy's didn't carry it for the D35.:mad:

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
With the auto I want to say 4.10's but can't recall. Also are you planning to upgrade shafts on the dana 35?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eventually will upgrade shafts, it all comes down to when I have the $!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Eventually will upgrade shafts, it all comes down to when I have the $!
4.88 for sure you'll get nice power out of em, but you are going to want to upgrade the shaft or upgrade the axle all together ideally

4.10s work as well personally i would go for 4.88

·
Registered
422 Posts
Funny, i was going to ask a similar question.... I'm running 35's on 4.56's on a Ford 8.8

Don't mean to thread jack, but my speedo is 15mph off (reads too fast) and I need to know what tranny cable to run...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Why isn't '87-90 on there???

·
Registered
925 Posts
not sure seems the hardware is different from 90 to 91. Maybe you can get away with 91 hardware, im not sure about that though maybe someone else knows whats up there

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well
I have a TF999 so that's the variable

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dont mind

Funny, i was going to ask a similar question.... I'm running 35's on 4.56's on a Ford 8.8

Don't mean to thread jack, but my speedo is 15mph off (reads too fast) and I need to know what tranny cable to run...
Ehhhh, its ok. This was also on my mind but figured I would use GPS as actual speed speed-o.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been searching for companies and have found Precision Gear and Motive gear. Partially because they are the few that offer in a 4.27 gear set, Motive for Dana 30 and Precision for dana 44. For some reason Precision doesn't offer 4.27 in dana 30. Since i'm building a daily driver weekend warrior rig I want something that will give me decent highway manners but also a good crawl. What's the opinion of the more experienced builders?

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
This is a good chart to use for general reference. Hit view full size to see better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had good luck with 4.56s but they did sorta blow up after about 10 yrs. Speedo only off by 5mph even after I changed out the sprocket underneath. Dont know if my shafts are worn out yet, though they could be the cause of my DW IDK. I'm running 33s

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so why 4.88's for a daily driver? I wouldn't hesitate if it was just a weekend toy.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
so why 4.88's for a daily driver? I wouldn't hesitate if it was just a weekend toy.
42RLE is undergeared from the factory. its got an OD ratio of 0.69:1. The 42RLE BONE STOCK actually turns the same RPMs with 3.73s/30s as the NV3550 manual does with 3.73s/35s.

The 42RLE should have come with 4.56s in a Rubicon. 4.88's & 33s actually puts you running less RPM's @ 70mph than a bone stock Rubicon 6-speed.

Do the math. For you manual shifting guys, run 3.73s, 35s and don't use 1st gear (or 4th for the 6-speed). Thats the bone stock 42RLE.

Trust me on this one. I know wtf i'm talking about. I'm running 4.88s and 33s on a 42RLE DD right now. With the 42RLE's stupid tall OD, mileage isn't an issue. I get 18-20mpg if i can keep my foot out of it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unlimitedlj04, I preciate it. I like hearing from guys that are actually running the set up I plan too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts